Gersau - raining


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Gersau
June 29th 2013
Published: June 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Rathaus, GersauThe Rathaus, GersauThe Rathaus, Gersau

The Town Hall and Mayors Office at Gersau, built in the 1700s
Raining!

As forecasted, it is raining. Again. But, maybe tomorrow will be nice and we’ll wake up to blue sky as forecasted – just in time to leave.

We were going to go up the Rigi but gave that idea away. We instead went to Brunnen to get groceries for the next couple of days since Switzerland closes on a Sunday and we’ll be going to Grindelwald tomorrow. While in Brunnen we had coffee and cake and a walk around the town despite it being closed since it was after midday. You have to factor in when things close, except cafes which stay open.

We were back in Gersau in time to have lunch and just generally relaxing until the rain stopped. Eventually it did so we went off and did a complete explore of Gersau. We found a Michelin star restaurant and booked in for dinner. We then viewed the Rathaus looking at the lovely building and it’s dates. We’re not too sure about the history, but it appears that Gersau was a republic a while back and the Rathaus was built in the 1700s. From there we went to the church which as usual was impressive
Three Alphorn playersThree Alphorn playersThree Alphorn players

Captured playing for a party on the lakeshore
as was the cemetary outside which made our one’s at home look sick. Each had lovely tenderly cared for little gardens with very nice memorial stones. One name stood out from them all so must have been related to almost everyone in Gersau. Most were recent too which meant that older ones were dug up and renewed which seems to be common practice in land lacking towns. There is more to Gersau than immediately meets the eye and it is well catered for, for bread, cheese, groceries, restaurants, cafes, crafts, hairdresser, electrical appliances, school, timber and GNOMES. Along the beautiful waterfront an old man was fishing as were kids, a party was happening with alp horns playing, people were out and about after the rain and explosions were happening across the lake that we couldn’t figure out about. Speaking of explosions, there was something happening in Brunnen last night after 10pm as we heard continuous fireworks and could see flashes across the lake but not the actual fireworks. I wonder what that was all about?

After a circuit uphill of the town we duly arrived back at the house for wine o’clock with some more of that fantastic cheese.
Haus Stefanie, GersauHaus Stefanie, GersauHaus Stefanie, Gersau

Our superior accommodation in Gersau kindly given to us by our friends in St Gallen


Despite the changeable weather while in Gersau, it has been an enjoyable place to be. It is in a lovely setting right on the Lake Lucern shore with mountains all around. There is plenty to see both by boat or car. Our accommodation has been more than acceptable so it is wonderful to have friends who have houses we can stay in. It's a shame that the weather hasn't been better, but, that's the mountains.

More later about the dinner at the Tubli Restaurant.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.375s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb