Malmö, Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
August 11th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Puttgarden-Rodbyhavn FerryPuttgarden-Rodbyhavn FerryPuttgarden-Rodbyhavn Ferry

Four ferries operate around the clock and one leaves every 30min for the 18km, 45min crossing. They were very punctual. Cost for car and two pax was €96.
Geo: 55.6037, 12.9993

5.5hr trip to Malmö today, including a 45min passage on one of the Puttgarden-Rodbyhavn ferries, the Princess Benedict. Denmark on the Rodbyhavn side of the ferry then a drive across the Oresund Bridge-Tunnel near Copenhagen to Sweden. The crossing was opened in 2000 and the toll is presently €52 each way!

With a population of around 300,000, Malmö is the third largest city in Sweden. The old town is on an island surrounded by canals. The city is preparing for its annual music and arts festival that starts on Friday, and temporary road closures made getting to our hotel a challenge. After checking-in we did a 50min canal cruise to gain an appreciation of the city centre. In the 1990s the economic mainstay of Malmö, the submarine maker Kockums, got into financial difficulties and was bought out. This caused major job losses and problems for Malmö and the city is now having to reinvent itself more towards service industries.

In the evening we went to the sky bar on the 25th floor of the Malmö Live hotel and had a good conversation with the barman and a Swedish couple. Ended up drinking more than expected but had a fun time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Oresund BridgeOresund Bridge
Oresund Bridge

The crossing is firstly a 4km tunnel under the water to an artificial island. Then an 8km bridge with a ship's clearance height of 47m continues on to Sweden. The tunnel was built rather than a cheaper, second bridge because it is close to Copenhagen airport, it provides a clear channel for shipping and it reduces the risk of ice floes blocking the straits.
Turning Torso residential tower Turning Torso residential tower
Turning Torso residential tower

Opened in 2005, this 54 storey tower is the tallest building in Scandinavia. It is for sale for a reputed €200m.


12th August 2015

Make the best of having "good" conversation in Sweden as you might have trouble having the same when you get to Glasgow.
12th August 2015

I hope your accommodation was not too far away after your Scandinavian drinking evening.
13th August 2015

Is that because of the renowned Glasweigian "friendliness" or their accents?
13th August 2015

Not so much accent- more Glaswegians have a unique language and vocabulary. You'll pick it up after a few whiskys

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb