A Ship in a Bottle!


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
July 25th 2008
Published: July 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

An extremely early start today, we got up at 4.30am for sunrise and the scenic sail in to Stockholm. It was pretty, but not sure it was worth the early start. It did mean, however that we were ready to jump ashore at 7.30am as soon as the ship docked and we walked into the outskirts of Stockholm.

Our first destination of the day was the Vasa museum. The Vasa was an oak ship that sunk on her maiden voyage out of Stockholm harbour in 1628, but was salvaged in 1961. The ship now stands inside the museum (ship in a bottle!), 95% is original as it preserved in the clay and non-salty water of the harbour. The vessel is amazing! Ornate carvings all around, high rigging and masts and includes original canons. The museum is dark with low lights and cold to help preserve the ship. There are five floors and you can view the ship from all aspects as well as view all other kinds of objects salvaged from the wreckage. Approximately 22 skeletons were recovered and through extensive testing and profiling they have facially reconstructed about 12 skeletons….creepy! Additionally lots of models depicting inside the ship that you can walk in, and smaller models of the scenes in the harbour on the fateful day, the building of the Vasa and lots more. Simply fascinating.

Next stop Skansen! This is an open-air museum/animal park. We prioritised the animals and saw wolves & pups, limas, baboons, bison, elk, wild boar & babies, bears & babies, seals, crocodiles, snakes, lizards, tree frogs, spiders, fish and crocodiles. We were able to walk through the lima enclosure!! Two young bears were playing in a pool of water, whilst the youngest cubs sleept in the shade.

A fun day, with more blue skies and plenty of sunshine. It was great to take a break from the architectural tours of the main city and enjoy more simple pleasures.

We are now at sea for until we arrive back in Dover. Should be enough internet minutes to post one more to share with you our views of the ship and some abstract images that we have been taking on board.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb