Gothenburg Day Two


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Västra Götaland County » Gothenburg
August 5th 2013
Published: August 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We are staying in a huge accommodation complex of owner occupier apartments. Masthugget is its name and around 6000 people live here in well spaced out multi-storey blocks separated by gardens, kids play areas, child care centres, and open spaces. Raymond and My are about 200 metres away from Lyn and my digs and we trundle up to their place for breakfasts. Gavin and Heather are staying at R & M's.

Raymond has organised a busy programme for us for our short stay here. Today we were going out to the archipelago and spending the day on an island, swimming and picnicking. So, a tram out to Saltshomen to catch a ferry. We sailed past starkly beautiful, rounded, glaciated rocky islets and islands peaked low above the sea. Some had straggly trees eking out an existence and patches of grass. The bigger ones are settled with holiday homes and some have permanent settlements.

It was a 30 minute trip with several stops before we landed at Brännö. No vehicles allowed on the island so lots of bicycles and ancient looking moped things with a two-wheeled tray on the front for loads. We walked to a beach with a grassy area. Out in the channel ships, boats, kayaks, yachts passed by.

Picnic, swim, sunbathing, frisbee - all very normal and enjoyable. The water was an excellent swimming temperature but the bottom was a bit muddy. A very pleasant three hours before we meandered back to the return ferry.

Back in Gothenburg we walked through a big treed park with bikers, walkers and skaters zipping by and ended up in a lake-side restaurant on a sunny evening drinking beer and wine and enjoying some excellent meals before our walk back to the apartments.

So, a day of seeing another side to Gothenburg, one I enjoyed much more than the city day yesterday (excepting the Segway experience).

Tomorrow we go to Denmark for the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.402s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb