Sweden - Oddo Island and Gothenburg


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

June 23 we flew from Venice to Gothenburg via Brussels, and were met by Wayne's second cousin, Anders, about noon. He drove us the approximately two hours to Stromstad, a pretty seaside town on the west coast. Along the way we stopped by a roadside cafe for some Swedish fast food: a smoked salmon plate and a shrimp salad. If you don't like seafood, you may be unhappy in Sweden, because it turned out that we ate shrimp and lox at every meal with Anders's family. We enjoyed it, especially one "torta" (cake) made with a dark bread crust topped with shrimp, egg, and salmon in a cream cheese sauce.

Anyhow, back in Stromstad we met Anders's wife, Monika, and two children, ages 7 and 4. We all got into their small outboard boat for the mile or so trip out to Oddo Island where they have a summer cabin and many aunts, uncles, and cousins in the near vicinity. This was such a beautiful place to relax, hike, catch crabs with the kids, and watch the near-midnight sunset. I hope you can see the photos of the rocky coast and get some idea of the environment. Anders and Monika were generous hosts and clearly took pride in exposing us to Swedish culture and their family compound in this little community. It was an idyllic couple of days, and we were sad to leave for the city and Wayne's World Congress of Environmental Economists in Gothenburg.

In Gothenburg we stayed four nights at the Scandic Rubinen in the center of town. It had a super breakfast with about ten million items, so we were well fed for our activities: for Wayne, attending sessions and presenting a paper on whether firms shift production away from states with more stringent environmental regulation; for me, doing an extensive walking tour of the city (see photos) and a bit of shopping and catching up on blogs and email!

Highlights to see in Gothenburg: the fish market (feskekorka fish market hall), Skansen Kronan fortress, and the botanical garden.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Early morning at the cottageEarly morning at the cottage
Early morning at the cottage

7 am and the sun is well up
A hike with the family on OddoA hike with the family on Oddo
A hike with the family on Oddo

Note the ledge on left
"Bumblebee" at the botanical garden"Bumblebee" at the botanical garden
"Bumblebee" at the botanical garden

Maybe I should try planting one of these at home?


Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb