Into the Swedish Centre


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Värmland County » Karlstad
August 15th 2023
Published: August 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Pick up a hire car today for the Swedish part of our trip.

Found the Avis shop and into a relatively new Opel Corsa. A bit smaller than expected but we could fit all of the bags in the boot. That is because we left the big case behind at the hotel as we are coming back there at the end of our trip.

Out of town and heading ultimately for Karlstad. This is where Stephanie spent around 10 months on student exchange in 2000. We are staying with her host father, Christa. Unfortunately her host mother died late last year.

We stopped at a very old castle which Christer had suggested on the way. Skokloster Castle which was built in the early 1600’s. Very interesting especially how they have used the original furnishings where possible. A real history lesson of how Sweden worked way back when.

Back on the motorway after this visit. Getting closer but it starts to rain, then it dumps it down. Visibility reduced to not much. Very very frightening lightning and massive streams of water over the roads. Speed reduced accordingly. Lots of big water splashed about by cars and trucks.

Finally the rain abated and we reached our hosts house. Welcomed warmly and offered a drink. Aperol spritz? Why not.

Sat and chatted for well over an hour when Christer asked if we were happy to have a traditional Swedish summer dinner. Herrings and new potatoes. Hmmm. Chris explains I am not a big fish eater. Christer also offers a smoked pork dish as well but says I have to at least try the herring.

Decide that I can’t offend so agree. We get the whole show. Cold beers, Aquavit and crispy bread with cheese. Christer then explains that the Aquavit has to be drunk with a song and proceeds to sing a Swedish song about half full glasses or something and you sip the Aquavit. Then he sings another one to the tune of Lily Marlene about half full and then all gone. You have to skull the remainder.

Herring not too bad when disguised with potatoes but a little is enough for me. The pork is actually ham and very nice. The beer even better.

We talk more and then get home made stewed apples (grown in the backyard) with ice cream. Very nice as well.

Go for a short walk around the area and get explanations of how the place has changed since Stephanie was here.

Time for bed. We are in the basement which is good as long as you remember to keep your head down. A few tiny doors and low roof lines but can’t complain about the hospitality we have received so far.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb