Here in Vasteras


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Uppsala County » Uppsala
July 31st 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi again everyone,

Firstly thank you for the comments, I love reading them. Girish sweetie, disregard the email I sent off to you before I found your comments here on the blog site. I will email you again soon.

Well, to my horror it seems I do have a touch of jet lag, hopefully it will soon disappear!!!!!

A couple of comments about Gothenburgh: Jeff lives in a suburb quite a way out of the city, this is both good and bad. Good because it is in a kind of rural area, bad because it takes him an hour and a half each day to get to work. The good bit though is that there is a small lake very close to where they live. Walking to this lake for a swim yesterday the area reminded me of Alexandra. There are pine and fir trees everywhere and also silver birch and beach trees. There are also huge rocky outcrops and large expanses of rock. Just think of what it is like when you drive into Alex and you have it pictured perfectly. The difference though to Central Otago lakes is that the lakes here are all warm. About 20 degrees C. Yet in the middle of winter they freeze solid and you can drive your car across them!

The weather has been so hot here with no rain that the trees have got all confused (or stressed) and are turning gold......they are meant to do that in autumn.

Right now we are in Vasteras, that is where Linda's parents live. From what I have seen so far it looks like a very nice city. It is just a bit bigger than Dunedin. Travelling here on the train was good and took about 3 1/2 hours. The countryside was pretty much the same the whole way; Tall trees for a bit then open farm land for a bit, then pretty lakes with cute houses dotted around them, then trees again.

There weren't that many farm animals. Although I did see one small paddock of sheep!!! Because it gets so incredibly cold here in the winter the farm animals all have to be housed in big barns in the winter.

Linda's mother cooked a really lovely dinner for us and we even had caviar!!!!!!! And it was nice!!!!!! Much to my huge surprise.

Tomorrow we head into the mountains to stay in a cabin in a skiing village. Apartently it is very pretty and should be very quiet there at this time of the year.

Dee

Advertisement



31st July 2006

Hey Dee
Glad 2 hear u had a safe trip ova. Sounds beautiful ova ther - bet ur brother is stoked ur finally there! Well ur not missing much here. Claires moved in with me so Im not on my lonesome. Miss my walking buddy. Have a tonne of fun :-)
31st July 2006

Great to read your progress reports...sounds like a lovely place to be and I still have some difficulty coming to terms with swimming in the lake..if only~!! The cabin sounds idyllic..keep those interesting comments coming..keep having FUN!!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb