Seasoned Scandinavia


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Uppsala County » Uppsala
September 24th 2010
Published: September 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

UppsalaUppsalaUppsala

Cathedral (Domkyrka)
13th August 2010 Uppsala

71 km north of Copenhagen is the city of Uppsala: known for it’s Cathedral, Castle and University. The hour drive in the car gave Oom Gerrit and Mamma a well-needed rest and time for me to somehow recover from my lost-wallet-ordeal.
Activity in old town was dwindling down as locals were locking their stores. We strolled around and discovered that we had an hour to visit the Cathedral(Domkyrka), the biggest cathedral in Scandinavia, dating back from the 13th century: - an impressive red-stone, twin-spire Gothic building.

As we walked into the church we were greeted by an unexpected, impressive Gothic interior, allowing in much light so that we were accompanied by a golden glow as we visited the little bordering chapels and explored the rich history.
We had a cup of coffee at the river’s edge and I was dissappointed that we could not spend the time intended for Uppsala, because there was so much more to see.

On our way out of Uppsala, we stopped at Willy’s, a supermarket. My mom and I were confused about what to buy and what not. We did not know what we want or what we were looking at. It took us a too long time to finally leave with what we hoped would be an ok dinner. We headed south to Nörkoping, where we were booked to stay at Hotel Drott (international hosteling).

We hauled our stuff to the first floor where we found our small, but clean, 4-sleep room. We made our sandwiches, and discovered that what I thought was butter was actually yeast! Butterless sandwiches tasted just as good when you are hungry. It was bliss to stretch out on a bed and to know that you did not have to get up at 4 the next morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Vaults - UppsalaVaults - Uppsala
Vaults - Uppsala

Gothic Interior
Oom Gerrit, Ouma Oom Gerrit, Ouma
Oom Gerrit, Ouma

drinking coffee at river's edge


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb