Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County
August 23rd 2017
Published: August 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day one - Disaster one:

We were due to fly from Bergen , via a transfer in Oslo, then onto Stockholm. Departure was scheduled for 9.20am so we had an early rise. Each leg of the two flights was about an hour’s duration and we had planned our arrival at our hotel for approximately 1.00pm. Unfortunately our Bergen- Oslo flight was delayed an hour due, to technical problems, meaning we would miss our connecting flight. Norwegian Airlines re-booked us on the next available that was departing 3 hours later so we had a long wait at Oslo airport. Things turned for the worse when that flight from our Oslo to Stockholm was also delayed. We eventually arrived at our hotel at around 7.30pm. It would have been a real disaster if we had only planned to stay for a couple of nights but we were due to stay for 4 days.

I was a little nervous about the accommodation I had booked as it was on a boat! The location was fantastic as it was moored right in the heart of the city on the opposite bank of the historic town hall and within walking
Views from shipViews from shipViews from ship

Towards old town
distance of the cobblestoned old town. Although the cabin was small, the rest of the boat had huge character and good facilities: restaurant, lounge/TV room and rooftop bar. We ate our evening meal on the top deck and enjoyed a well earned drink whilst watching the sun set on the city.

Day two - Disaster two:

The next morning I awoke with a small strain in my left ankle. I did not think much of it at the time, but after Joyce and I had walked to the old town and through a few of its cobbled streets my foot became more painful. We curtailed our walk and using Joyce as a crutch I hobbled back to the boat. I have to own up, Joyce did advise (tell) me that I should have rested my foot before trying to go walking on it!

Day three - Disaster three:

During the previous day the pain worsened and today I had to keep my leg elevated and rested and therefore could go nowhere. Joyce did go out by herself for a while but she felt guilty leaving me alone on the boat. She helped me a lot by strapping my ankle and applying anti- inflammatory cream.

Day four:

Today the pain eased quite a bit and as it was our last full day and we had not really been anywhere yet, we decided to go on a Hop on Hop Off bus tour around the city. Joyce and I normally avoid these tours as we feel that you get insufficient commentary and sights not accessible by bus are missed, but it was the only way we would get to see anything of Stockholm. Unfortunately the sunshine and blue skies of the previous three days disappeared today and our sightseeing was conducted under leaden skies and showers.

Even though our visit to Stockholm did not go well and we did not get to see much, we both felt that Stockholm seem to offer more than either Copenhagen or Olso as a place to live.

Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Tot: 2.396s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0407s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb