Around Stockholm


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County
July 31st 2017
Published: July 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Friday 28th....cooler today, drizzling and cloudy. We drove to Rosendal's Garden on Djurgarden Island, and looked around the garden in the drizzle. This garden is a non-profit organic garden and they use their vegetables in their cafe, where we had lunch. Jonathan then drove home the long way - to show us where his Film School is and the Foley Studio where he had an internship, and now does some work. Later that afternoon we visited Bertil's 94 year old mother, who lives in an apartment nearby. She seemed pleased to see us and thought we understood her Swedish very well !!!

That evening we met our Kiwi/UK friend Margaret, who came to see us and Stockholm for the weekend.

Saturday 29th....woke up to another beautiful day - clear blue sky and hot !!! We met Margaret at 9am and walked back to our apartment, then along the lakefront in the other direction, past large apartment blocks with amazing views of the lake and city, as well as allotment gardens, full of colourful summer flowers. Around 11am we went to more gardes... this time the University Botannical Gardens called Bergianska. As well as extensive gardens outside, with areas of Japanese, Italian, European Mountain plants, an orchard and berry garden, rhododendron dell, there are 2 huge glasshouses with tropical and Mediterranean plants. Most impressive were huge lotus leaves and flowers. There are 40,000 different plants in this garden.

That evening we had dinner at a local restaurant overlooking the lake. They served typical Swedish food - herrings, salmon and meatballs, all with mashed potato, followed by delicious desserts.

Sunday 30th....another warm day.....we're having great summer weather here !!!

Did the laundry this morning then met the Swedish girlfriend of our Kiwi friends' son at a local cafe for lunch. Later we went to Bertil's home and saw the photos he took when they visited us in NZ last year. Bertil, Lisa, Sara and Jonathan cooked a delicious fish stew, potatoes and salad for dinner, followed by apple and rhubarb crumble and vanilla cream - the rhubarb coming from Bertil and Sara's garden.

Advertisement



31st July 2017

Sounds like u are having lots of fun. All is well at your place. I have resisted watering your green house babies as you said about once every two weeks but I think I will give them a little drink today. Love to you both, Cher

Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb