Stockholm


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
June 28th 2017
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Had a fabulous day yesterday catching up with old friends Cathy and Sture. We arranged to meet at their local metro stop, however as we started the journey there was a power outage on the line. The very helpful lady at the metro station printed us out instructions on how to get there not on the metro. So a bus, train and bus ride later we arrived a little late at Aspudden station. By then of course the metro was working again.

We walked from Aspudden down to their allotment. A fabulous garden space and a real sense of community with others with allotments. Then a short walk to a local cafe for lunch. Checking out the pond for frogs and salamanders.

From here we walked to Alfred Nobels explosive factory at Vinterverken. This was bought by Nobel in 1865 to manufacture nitroglyceri. The building had been allowed to fall into disrepair but has now been restored and used for a restaurant and conferences. There are still a number of tunnels at were used for storage of the unstable product. The area wasn't protected until 1995.

From here we walked around the bay of Lake Mälaren to Aspudden. The bay had a number of boats and swimming areas and Cathy and Sture told us that in winter it freezes and that they ski or skate across. All the boats are pulled out of the water for winter. Hard to image what it must be like.

Then to Cathy and Sture's lovely apartment and a great dinner and conversation then time to catch the metro back to where we are staying. Much shorter trip this time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Bay at Lake MälarenBay at Lake Mälaren
Bay at Lake Mälaren

Hard to believe this freezes completely in winter


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb