Stockholm in the sun


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
July 23rd 2016
Published: July 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

23rd July, Stockholm
Three days in this beautiful, historic city. Staying out at Angby, a small beach with Stockholm's nearest campground, just 20 or so minutes from the nearby metro station to the city centre.
Highlights have been: wandering the cobbled streets of Gamla stan, the old area, relaxing on the Under the Bridges Tour, the guided tours of the Moderna Museet and Nobel Museum, out of town visiting Sigtuna and Drottingholm Palace. I had wanted to visit the modern art museum since reading a Guardian article some months ago about Hilma af Klint a local artist whose paintings I was quite taken by. We arrived just as a guided tour was statting so ended up with a 40 min summary of art from 1900 through the paintings in the gallery. We felt much more knowledgeable at the end.
The Gamla stan area is lovely to walk around, the facades of the buildings the churches and the rather boxy palace. We delved into the free armoury museum; carridges and sledges, suits of armour and some history about the early kings was worth the visit.
The Nobel Museum is also in this district, again the guided tour made it very interesting, far too much to take in in one visit. How to be a creative thinker was a nig theme.
The Under the Bridges tour was worth its high price, with over 2 hours on the water going around some of the many islands that make up Stockholm. The audio guide and the captain had dry humour and lots of information about the diverse districts we sailed past.The 50min dtive out to Sigtuna was well worth it. A quiet town that in Viking times was the main city in Sweden. It has a lovely waterfront, an historic centre that still shows the original road layout. There is a walk around the town with information boards st all the points of interest and at each of the runes. The town is also known for these rune stones dating from around 1000AD written in early Swedish and decorated.Drottingholm Palace is just down the road from the campsite. It's in an impressive location on the edge of the water surrounded by parkland. We had a look around the rooms that are open to the public and then enjoyed a walk around the gardens and parkland. Very pleasant way to spend a few hours.
It has been sunny every day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb