Stockholm


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
June 12th 2010
Published: June 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Stockholm -
We had 1 full day in Stockholm and decided to go to Drottninghomn Palace and the Chinese Castle (Kina Slott). Both were on the same property. At the Palace we visited the oldest baroque theater in the world. We thought we were told that when we visited the one in Chesky Kromlov, Czech Republic. The guide told us the one in the Czech Republic had the internal mechanical pieces replaced as this one we saw was totally original. I’ll have to look that one up. This type of theater was originally lit by candles and had the hand painted scenic stage screens that were moved by stage hands with ropes and moved across the floor in little slits. Perhaps on rollers but I’m not sure. They quit using real candles in the 20’s and had a candle created just for that theater that had bulbs that actually moved to mimic the movement of the flame. It did look real.
The palace was closed due to the royal wedding on June 19th so we didn’t get a chance to go there but the palace grounds were beautiful.
Later that afternoon, Ted and I took the subway to Gamla Stan (old
Drottninghomn PalaceDrottninghomn PalaceDrottninghomn Palace

Picture through the gardens to the back of the palace.
Stockholm) to take in the sites and walk around the shops. Bre had been there before so she headed back to the hotel.
We found the palace there but it was also closed for the wedding. Found a few churches. Yah, I think Ted has a beacon somewhere cuz he seems to stumble on them where ever we go.
We walked into one in Gamla Stan that was getting ready for some type of a performance. She was practicing and tuning up her harpsichord. It was those smaller pianos from the 16th century. It was pretty cool because there were 2 harpsichords and both were playing at the same time. Free concert!
We finished walking around and decided to have a glass of wine at this cool little wine shop we had seen when we first started walking around. I just had a glass of chardonnay from Africa and Ted had some Chilean wine. Thought maybe $20 for the two. No…. more like $50. Are you serious!? They tried to tell us that Ted’s wine was old vine. Yah, from 2006? Please. So his was $35 for a frickin glass of wine. We’re sticking to beer from now on!
We headed back to get Bre for dinner but she was tired so Ted and I headed out to dinner and then took in a World Cup game at the local Irish pub. US and England played and they tied. It was fun because half of the bar was for the US and the other half England. It got pretty loud. We headed out after the game was over and walked a mile or so to the casino. Played some blackjack and slots. I won about $400 kr ($100). Ted lost about $50 so we were $50 ahead and decided to call it a night.
Back to the hotel to get ready for the boat trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ducks in a Tree?Ducks in a Tree?
Ducks in a Tree?

This was so weird I had to take a picture. Two Mallard ducks up in a tree at the palace gardens.
Funny PicFunny Pic
Funny Pic

Walked by a pizza parlor and these guys were having a batchelor party. Two of the shirts say "Stop him" and the batchelor is wearing one that says "Stop me". Funny...
Candle GlobeCandle Globe
Candle Globe

This was in the cathedral in Gamla Stan.
Harpsichord Harpsichord
Harpsichord

This was in a smaller church in Gamla Stan.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb