Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
June 21st 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Stockham


I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list. - Susan Sontag



June 21, 2009, Sunday, off the ferry in Stockholm to the Bandang Campgroung, Stockholm, Sweden. Getting off the ferry and passing customs, at 9:40 AM, Bob, the driver, along with all the other drivers, was stopped for a breathalizer test, this country is serious about not having drunk drivers on the roads. The duty free shops present a temptation for drinkers, but it is 9:40 AM???Sunday Morning. Whatever?
An interesting experience, and we are on our way to the campground, the city is quiet still celebrating the holiday weekend. As we arrived at Brandang Campground, we noticed our friends, Tom and Judy, getting ready to leave. We stopped and chatted. They are on their way to Denmark.
We got ourselves settled and started out on the T-Bahn into the city of Stockholm. The Metro is just a short walk and we were on our way. We choose Gamla Stan, an island that is the old city. As we wandered around the old town, we stopped at a church and then heard a band playing; it was the changing of the guard at the palace. Lots of pomp and circumstance, Bob took photos. We signed up for the English tour of the palace. It was crowded and long.
After returning “home” we enjoyed a large salad and good bread.

June 22, 2009, Monday, Bandang Campground, Stockholm, Sweden. Today’s destination is the Vasa Museum, so we will take the Metro and then a short walk to the ferry to Djurgarden.
In 1628 a glamorous, but un-seaworthy warship-The Vasa- top-heavy with an extra cannon deck---sank 25 minutes into her maiden voyage when a breeze caught the sails and blew her over. After 333 years at the bottom of the Stockholm harbor, it was rediscovered in 1956, and it was dredged from the sea in 1961. It was salvaged and carefully put back to together. Over 90% of the wood is original, it was a labor of love filmed and recorded as the ship was ever so carefully re-produced. The Vasamuseet was an interesting stop.
We walked and walked along the harbor and found our way to the area of Ostermalm Area, with a charming food court and enjoyed some Swedish delicacies. Bob enjoyed meatballs in cabbage, and Kel had the salmon bake, salmon with sliced baked potatoes. Tasty but very expensive, that is Sweden!!
We continued walking and eventually found our way back to the T-bahn and back “home” again.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.806s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 36; qc: 186; dbt: 0.3161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb