Its the small things that get you.


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
June 11th 2008
Published: June 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Its our last night in Sweden and we have been traveling for over two weeks.
As Nigel mentioned the lack of supermarkets has been affecting both the bank ballance and the diet. There is only so long one can live on hotdogs and beer but we are giving it our best shot. A jar of multi vitamins are on the list as soon as we find somewhere to buy them. So far the only place we have stayed that has been close to supermarkets (really just a selection of 4 square sized shops) was Copenhargen in a hostel with no kitchen. We have now got a hostel with a clean and pleasent kitchen and all we can find is a 7-11 with chips and hotdogs. And also Ben and Jerrys Icecream. no prises for guessing what we had for dinner.

Things to remember in the middle of the night:
The light switches work the other way - up for on down for off.
It is still the middle of the night - no matter how light it seems.

We are starting to get the hang of the busses and trains. The train station here is worse then the tree maze at the castle but we found a train all by our selves this morning. The Busses are ok but Nigel has forgotten the reason they have been so easy to use is that we have tourist cards that give us free travel on all busses and trains. To get the cards we had to get a bus into town. the bus driver was nice enough to let us on the bus without a ticket as they dont sell tickets on the busses, you have to text-a-ticket for one or get a bunch at the station - neather of which we could do. Fortunately the drivers dont look too close at the cards as they expired two days ago.
You get tickets from machines for everything here. The bus, the train, the line for the counter for the bus tickets, the train ticket, the shop checkouts. Virtual queuing is a big thing here.

The shops are open a little longer here in Sweden but it can still be hard to find breakfast before lunch. I also think NZ should spread the word about PIES. Its a meal avaliable at every dairy and needs no knife or fork. on the other hand we could learn fron the beer blanket consept. Im not sure how you stop students nicking them but they are great. No need to stop drinking because you left your jacket at the hostel or the weather changed.

We are starting to look the right way when crossing the road, we will see how we go with driving in Iceland.
I cant wait for Iceland and having a car again. Also there will be hills again tomorrow. Today we saw the burial mounds of viking kings. They were almost the biggest hills we had seen all trips and they were made by hand.

-Kathryn


Advertisement



14th June 2008

Hey guys!
loving your blog and the pictures!! Keep it up and keep safe! XX

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb