The Retiree


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
August 12th 2003
Published: May 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

At first sight the guy seems rather normal. After having released a few incomprehensible murmurs, this perception is radically altered. Before having even landed his butt on the seat, he has initiated the dead-end conversation. Conversations with the train/plane/bus neighbor can be quite interesting and kill some serious time. This guy is a one of those one-way streeters. To his defense could be mentioned a slight mental sub-normality. He mumbles a big deal in super-standard Swedish. Not at all easy to grasp. He's going home to Stockholm. The cats in Malmö were apparently quite messy. He's retired, although in his 30's. Retired from what...?

With great enthusiasm and excitement he describes the characters, plot, and relationships of the fantasy cassette book he's "reading". Light bla bla Dragons bla bla White guardians bla bla Black tower...But the White Guardians CANNOT date the Black Guardians. Or something...

And all this information before the train has even left the station...Recalling a scene from the Steve Martin/John Candy movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" I grab a magazine from the pocket in front of me and start reading an article about a Swedish country singer. To no avail. The story about his Tintin "book" continues. The balance of the rudeness of not engaging in the conversation and the awkwardness of the non-understanding and repeating of every word is a tricky quest. Maybe if I close my eyes...? Yes! Except for a few laughs and explanations of the laughs, my tactic worked like a charm. Silence is golden!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb