Exploring (and getting lost) in Stockholm


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
July 1st 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Ok, as promised, some pictures and stories that don't involve solely historical artifacts. Sorry for the delay - most of these are from other people's cameras (thanks Molly!).

On Wednesday, the whole group went into Stockholm. We stopped at the historical museum for a while then broke off into two groups to explore. It was wet and rainy, so our group decided to stop into a pub (Picwicks) for some cider and beer rather get more soggy. I had some delicious pear cider and we sat outside on a covered patio to people watch.

From there, the whole group went dinner at Herman's - Professor Roddy's treat. Herman's is this awesome vegitarian buffet restaurant over looking the lake and Gamla Stan (old town). It was beautiful even in the rain.

After dinner most of us chose to stay in the city for a little recreational drinking. We found an Irish pub a few blocks from the restaurant and set up shop there for several hours. It was some good group bonding. We left the pub at midnight so that we would not miss the last train back to Märsta and we just barely made it. From Märsta, we took the 570 bus back to Sigtuna which (we thought) would drop us at the school. We were wrong. The bus made us get off on the other side of Sigtuna and we walked a few miles (at two in the morning) back to school. It was intense. We got to bed at 2:45am and then had to be in class at 9. I made it, but I don't really know how I managed to get up.

On Thursday afternoon, we went to find some rune stones. We didn't know that they would be miles off of the road through mosquito infested fields. The rune stones are cool, and we have learned how to read them like a pro, but it was much more backwoods then we were prepared for. The third stone was literally a full mile from where we parked. We had to walk along the edge of a giant wheat field through some very thick mud that stuck persistantly to the bottom of our shoes. The picture below is my foot when we finally got to the stone - it felt like it weighed an extra 10 pounds.

I've done a little more exploring
Stockholm 2Stockholm 2Stockholm 2

The gang debating how to get to the restaurant for dinner.
in Stockhom. I've got the public transit system down pretty well now, but it's pretty confusing and not in english, so there have been a few minor mishaps. The public transit system is really cool and really well thought out. For example, on the trip to Stockholm, there is a train waiting for every bus so that you can just walk from one to the other.

Molly and I went shopping yesterday in the SoFo shopping district. I almost bought some super cute shoes, but I resisted the urge. I did buy a towel to take with me on our trip to Götland, but that was my only purchase.

More updates to come ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Stockholm 3Stockholm 3
Stockholm 3

Hilliary, Katie, and Sean at the first pub we went to to get out of the rain.
Stockholm 4Stockholm 4
Stockholm 4

Garrett and Molly at Padwicks.
Stockholm 5Stockholm 5
Stockholm 5

mmmmmm ... cider!
Stockholm 6Stockholm 6
Stockholm 6

Molly and I (with Katie in the background) waiting for the rest of the group at Hreman's.
Stockholm 7Stockholm 7
Stockholm 7

Dinner at Herman's.
Stockholm 8Stockholm 8
Stockholm 8

my mud shoe
Stockholm 10Stockholm 10
Stockholm 10

Me pouting on Molly's bed ... I don't remember why.


10th July 2007

poor green shoe
Your poor green shoe got obliterated by mud. And you resisted the urge to buy cute european shoes why??? Sounds like you're having fun! And pear cider sounds yummy. And I had a class last quarter with the guy in the blue shirt in pic #7, damn if I can remember his name though.

Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb