Tuition Fees Finally Paying Off


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Skåne County
August 31st 2002
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Not often does a standard 90 minute train ride in your own home territory make you feel good, particularly when the train is late and you're going to a party. The party in this case is "The Sail" in Karlskrona. A very nice little town in southern Sweden with a nice little summer event. The region is a bit remote, off the tourist trail to Stockholm and Gothenburg and other major attractions in Sweden. Therefore it's a bit surprising that the family next to me speak American English. Not having spoken English in a while, and being a huge fan of just speaking English, I must interfere. Say something stupid like "I can close the blinds if you want". Not only are they amazed that the blinds actually do close, but also to hear English with an American accent spoken right there. After a little chat, they are even more surprised to learn that I'm a local, i.e. not a native speaker of English. Ha! I passed for an American! Among Americans! Victory! A token as good as any college grade that four years in the US actually paid off! Ha!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb