The Glass is Half Full


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Kronoberg County » Kosta
August 21st 2023
Published: August 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Last laundry day for this trip. Had breakfast with the only other guest this morning. Very quiet. We both agreed that they needed to have some music playing to break the silence of no crowds.

Washing done and hanging inside the huge laundry room at the accommodation. They do their own washing here so there were racks of sheets and other stuff hanging in this room.

Our wash took up a small area but it was better to hang than go through the dryer again.

We are now off to the town of Kosta. Sound familiar. Many will have heard of Kosta Boda glassware and also Orefors. Kosta, Boda and Orerfors are 3 towns relatively close together. They all had their own glass ware manufacturing plants for many years but somehow they all merged into the Kosta Boda brand and there is only glass produced from this factory in Kosta.

We arrived around 1100. They advertise that you can tour the glass blowing area between 0730 and 1000 then after 1130. Lunch is between 1000 and 1130……

Looked around the outlet shops for a while then up to the Hot Shop as they call the glass blowing factory. They have guided tours so we go and book into an English speaking tour at 1300. Wander around their art gallery for a while. Fascinating exhibition of musical instruments all made from glass. Including a full drum kit…..

Tour starts and we are taken into the area where they are making a vase with a bear in the bottom of the vase and green leaves on the outside. We got to see the build from start to finish. What they can’t do with glass is amazing. There were 5 guys doing different parts and at all times there was at least 1 major player and another assisting him with the others doing side bits like making the tiny bear and coloring it ready to be placed in the base while another group made the top part of the vase and it eventually joined to cover the bottom bear bit and another dude making the leaves and placing them on the exterior of the vase. Finished product looked great. Took about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Some more outlet shops to look through then in the car back to our little cabin.

Washing dry and folded ready to be packed away. Pizza for tea tonight. Found an open bottle shop and a nice Spanish Tempranillo to have with the pizza. Pizza ordered amongst much chatter about where I came from (English - certainly not). Oh Australia. I like Australia especially master chef. Heard all about his life story but the pizzas were really good so worth the ear biting.

Sat on our little deck on the pond and ate and drank. Very relaxing and the bugs even kept away tonight.

A good day all round.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.497s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb