The Coast of Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Peñíscola
November 14th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

9th - 11th November
Vila i la Geltru
This place is a 40 minute train ride from Barcelona. We arrived on a Sunday and absolutely nothing is open on a Sunday and we didn´t have any food. Luckily for us there was a fair in town. We were straight on the bus.........

For dinner we bought things we had no idea what they were. They were the closest thing to a pie we have seen since England. They were square and flat, like a parcel. THeir fillings unknown. But we did find tuna, shrimps, soft sweet onions and peppers. They were delicious - crispy. Dad spent 10 euros on olives. They were big and fleshy and some were stuffed with almonds. He also bought a loaf of bread which cost 5 euros. He was angry with himself after he bought it but it did two breakfasts, one dinner (hamburgers), one lunch and one bread and butter pudding. When you sliced the bread one piece was about 50cm long. Then we went home and had swiss hot chocolates and mum made chocolate chippies. Yum.

Monday 10th November
Back into Barca today. Visited Gaudi´s houses but it was incidental to what our real objective was. We wanted a new camera. It didn´t take long but mum had to plead the shop to except her visa with no id. Luckily the visa had her photo on it and the bosses said it was ok. We were hppy they were so careful. So we walked away with a new camera.

Then straight to the Mercat de la Boqueria down the la Rambles. Blake kept stopping to look at all the animals for sale, turtles, birds, mice and so really strange furry things. The mercat was a mess of colours. We drank fresh juice, ate roasted hazelnuts and almonds, feasted on pomegranet and bought bags of fruit, vegies and red meat. But we still needed lunch. An Organic shop beckoned us. We left with trays of tortillas, crepes, chick peas, couscous, carrots and salad. We sat in a playground and inhaled it. It was the best lunch we´ve had in ages.

Our final trip was to LA Sagrada familia. We walked out of the M and staight into it. It was a fantastic sight even with the scaffolding everywhere. They started building in 1882 and they don´t think they´ll finish it until 2020 even with Gaudi dead they´re still trying to keep to his style. It´s a must see in Barca.

Home to the campground for vegie rissotto made from our shopping in the mercat. What a day.

-tuesday & Wednesday
La Pineda
This coast is a continual line of apartment blocks, high rise apartment blocks. Mile upon mile of development. In contrast the sea and sand a clean, clear and inviting. As long as you look out to sea you´re fine - just don´t turn around.

We stayed in La Pineda for 2 nights so we could get some school work done, do some runs down the beach and sort some things out.

The staff at the campground were fantastic. They let mum use their computer to do stuff on the net and helped with the police and things. We did some good cricket practice.

Thursday
Pensicola
Today we drove through paddocks of olive trees and oranges. We have been eating heaps of these things. Yum.

Pensicola is an old fishing village build in the 16 century. It is surrounded by high rises and more developement. It looks funny because it is so old but its surroundings are such a contrast.

We got to go out for lunch. We had 3 courses; pasta, seafood paella and a creamy dessert. The paella was delicious. It had shellfish, prawns and squid in it. We scoffed it down not because we were eating lunch at 3 o´clock but because it was yummy.

We wandered the old streets of Pensicola, watched the fishing boats come in and then sell their unwanted fish to the locals. It was a cool day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb