Climbing rocks on the Med in Calpe, Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Calpe
February 23rd 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Went and hike the sweet rock know as Penyal d'ifac !! Anybody that gets the chance to take a trip to this area and is able to do some easy to moderate hiking should climb it. It's 332 meters or 1090 feet to the top. The trail starts off on a average park trail, that leads into a cave that was dug in 1918. The cave is a little difficult to walk through because the floor is not stable and its a bit dark. After you exit the cave it opens up to the other side and a wonderful view of the bay and some of the smaller peaks. The first part of the trail contains ropes on the wall "just in case". Naturally we went on, usually choosing the more difficult path to lead us higher. Joye and myself were hiking machines, chasing down different peaks while the others caught up. We angered some seagulls on our first peak... I am guessing it was a less popular one to climb. Once the rest of the group caught up we had a snack of oranges and bananas, then carried on to the top. It took about 10 more minutes from where we were. The view was fantastic like expected. 1090 feet over the city of Calpe and overlooking the Isla de Benidorm off in the distance. Of course the walk down was much easier... ok actually it wasn't, sliding down rocks, jumping here and there, and the great pressure on your knees was great. Overall hiking the Calpe rock was great, next rock, Gibraltar (it's a little bigger, but overlooks Africa).


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1012s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb