Day 19 - Javea to Altea La Vella


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ah, luxury!Ah, luxury!Ah, luxury!

Checking the bikes into luxury!
We awoke to a wet morning - our first of the trip. Took our time over breakfast in the hope that the rain might stop before we set off - but it was not to be!

Took our bikes from the hotel lounge, loaded up, and set off for our short ride down to Altea La Vella. Knowing the roads, we were a bit apprehensive about the climb up to Benissa, but we're either a lot fitter now, or they've flattened the road out!!

Took a coffee stop in Benissa, and phoned to to make sure we could get hold of a key to the apartment. Before we left the UK Adele had said about taking a key, but I was convinced that we wouldn't beat her out here!!! Fortunately I managed to organise the key, which helped us to relax a bit.

A long downhill run to Calpe, then a short climb, before dropping down through the tunnels to get our first view of Altea and the bay - a great feeling.

Picked up some provisions in the superrmarket, where the butcher I know told us that we were both "loco" (Spanish for stark-raving mad)! The
Nearly there!Nearly there!Nearly there!

On the sea front at Javea
final steep climb and we were there around 1:25.

Getting into the dry and sitting down with a nice cup of tea was a great relief.

A great sense of achievement for a couple of old boys! We'd made it in 19 days, with only one rest day, and adjusted the route enough to get over the magic 1,000 mile barrier.

Days miles 26.7
Total miles 1,007.8
Days ascent 1,685'
Total ascent 46,737'
Raindrops far too many!
Proud cyclists 2

A sincere vote of thanks go to Katie Watson for manning base camp for us and posting the blogs every day (with a little help from John). Congratulations are in order, as Katie passed her driving test today - well done Katie!!

Thanks also to everyone who sponsored me. It has made the trip feel even more worthwhile.

... and a final thanks to Jim. If he'd not picked up on my throw-away comment about cycling to the apartment, I'm sure I would never have done it, and wouldn't have enjoyed the experiences of the last 19 days.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb