La Tomatina


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Buñol
August 31st 2005
Published: September 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post



Bunol was already partying when we got there. Locals were drinking and music was going in the street at 8am. Before the actual throwing of tomatos the tradition is for people to climb up a lard greased 30 foot pole and bring down a ham. The heckling from the brits behind us was priceless with comments like, "just climb up him old girl!"

The tomatos didn't come right away, so the restless crowd balled up shirts and hurled them at eachother. Getting clocked in the side of the head hurts, but throwing it back makes it better, which when you think about it, is the spirit of La Tomatina.

A series of 5 trucks came rolling down the street (within 1 hour). The ruthless men in the trucks chucked tomatos and tomato slime at our heads, and all we could do was take it. It was awesome. By the end we looked like breadsticks dipped in marinera. Which eventually dried and crusted to our skin, giving us rashes on our arms and legs. Ole!

There are pics, but they were taken on a tomato proof camera, so check out the web site: http://www.lahoya.net/tomatina/menues.html to see pics until we get them developed in January.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb