The Way of St. James


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Pamplona
September 13th 2014
Published: September 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi Folks, well here I am trying a second time to publish a blog. I do not know where the other went too.

Anyway, I am here in Pamplona with 3 days serious walking behind me. I am thankful for airconditioning and a bath. The weather has been mild to hot, with no rain; although I understand the closer we get to Santiago the more chance of rain.

Let me recap what I had talked about in my previous blog.

My trip on Air France was excellent, I had sent a text to Lisa M saying we were an hour late taking off, but the text did not go. The reason, we were already in the air for an hour, I had missed take off and fallen asleep.

4 days wandering Paris was a delight; Roger (my aussie friend), explored the city by open deck bus, then at night sailed the Seine river which was magnificent, we walked endlessly, and had a jolly good time.

A train ride first class through the French countryside is an ideal way to relax. We traveled to Bayonne, caught a local train, then a bus to St. Jean our starting point for the walk. Aclimating ourselves the next day was a joy in such a quaint historic township. It is a walled city that today serves as a tourist attraction, but also the starting point for a 500 mile pilgrimage. As you can imagine the place is full of people from different places all excited about discovering more about them selves as they journey.

The first day was gruelling & arduous; a climb of 4700ft, with every turn steeper than the last, a never ending ascent until finally the last 3 hours were downhill over shale & rock slipping/sliding, torturing your feet. I thought I would die on the journey (some have, monuments are testament to that). Praise the Lord I made it, but I have never been so glad to fall into bed. A rest day followed, then onto another little easier 22km section into the town of Zibiri where we stayed in a pension (like a private home). The discussion around the meal table was varied, exciting, and very pleasant as 8 people exchanged views on everything you could think of - much amidst broken Engllsh, because wd don't speak french or spanish.

Today has been a very pleasant jaunt through less hilly country, along verdant green river banks, tree covered paths, and beautiful farmland. A highlight was stopping for lunch at this outdoor eatery for pizza made on the spot in open air ovens - delicious.

There are hundreds of people walking, we acknowledge most, and speak to numerous sojourners, many who are fabulous to talk too. Met a father and daughter doing the Camino simply to kep in touch with each other. She is in 3rd year University. Jobs are very scarce in Spain, so her desire would be to immigrate to USA.

Then there was the jovial old guy from Switzerland, who has walked 500 miles on this trip, bug previously walked 2800 kms from Russia. He has a business in his home country. There were also the two elderly brothers from Italy walking together, one now lives in Melbourne Australia, so we spoke endlessly of my home country.

It is a very trying walk which today ended in Pamplona (running of the bulls fame). I am so appreciative of your prayers for my body to maintain a semblance of dignity as I walk; I had no idea I am as old as I feel today. However, a relax in the bath and a good meal will liven me again for the next stage (I think :-))

Love to all. Daryl

Advertisement



13th September 2014

Buen camino...
I'm looking forward to Following your journey along that Way. I hope to walk the Way in two years, although my wife is highly doubtful whether this is a good idea. Any chance you can post a few pictures?
14th September 2014

Praying you along today
Today is Sunday. I am thinking of you my friend because this morning I will fill your pulpit. You have built up the people in their faith and love for the Lord Jesus. When I share your request for strength they will graciously join me in that prayer. I am grateful for the precious memories that are being made and the people you have met. I am sure they feel the same way, having met you. "Lord Jesus, as pastor Daryl walks today, may He sense You right there with him. Build his body up, when it hurts, remind him of Your own suffering. Give Daryl rest and restore him each night. Let joy override any pain. Bless him. Remind him he is never, ever alone. Thank you my Lord and Savior" amen.
14th September 2014

Camino
Brother Doug, how wonderful to hear from you. I know the Traditional service will be blessed by your presence & message today. You are truly a great man of God with a pastors heart for people. Praise God for last weeks decisions - do we have names? Today we shared in mass at the BIG cathederal in Pamplona, didn't understand much, but thoroughly enjoyed the choir, and the precious moments of personal prayer and meditation. Roger & I shared in communion jn our hotel room. The Spanish lifestyle is more relaxed and laid back, especially the afternoon siesta time. Howevrr, the city becomes a thriving hub from 9pmon as peoole come out to eat and celebrate in city squares. The gift yourself & Maureen gave me has been invaluable as the hydration pack I carry each day. I have drank gallonsbof water; sweated out twice as much, but been ever so grateful for your generosity in providing the means to sustain myself esch day. We send our larger back packs on each day by courier, so the smalker pack is ideal for daily requirement. Love to all at Crossroads, please pass on my thanks for their prayers. I truky felt them the other clinbing a steep ascent, it was unbelievable to feel refreshed as I strode on valiantly. God bless yiu Doug. Daryl
15th September 2014

Hi Daryl and Roger, Good for the two of you. What an adventure. I would like to be there with you sore feet and all, well may be not the sore feet part. You will make it and have many memories. Prayers for you. Katherine
15th September 2014

Proud of you Daryl
So glad to be able to keep up with you on your journey! I didn't realize that the first part of the trip would be so rigorous, hoping that the worst is over! Praying God's blessings upon you as you travel along!
16th September 2014

Good Day Mate :)
Happy Tuesday Mate :) I am so glad to hear that you are thoroughly enjoying your journey thus far! Have you met any special lady friends yet? I am praying that you come back home with a wife! ;) Any who, I love you & miss ya mate! I am praying for you & your Aussie mate. I pray for perseverance & strength. I pray that you two would sense God's presence upon you guiding your every step. I am truly proud of your commitment & diligence! I pray that you are truly blessed by your experience!!! :)
18th September 2014

WOW
Oh dearest Uncle Daryl! I am so incredibly proud of your brawny strength and perseverance! I am keeping you in my prayers and I am certain you will reach every goal you've set for yourself. If you get weary imagine us cheering "Go Daryl Go!!!" I love reading your blog you're so eloquent I feel like I am there with you and totally jealous that I'm not. Keep on pushin' old geezer :-) Love you!

Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb