Estella - Los Arcros, 150km behind us


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Estella
June 23rd 2013
Published: June 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Just two neurofen today so progress on the drug rehabilitation for Fiona. Although by the end of the 21km the pain level was getting pretty high so we were very pleased to see Los Arcos appear around the corner.

The day started out windy and overcast with a forecast for a sunny afternoon. We left at 7 to try and get as much distance under our belts before the heat arrived. Still the same team of 5 together but around midday tomorrow we say goodbye to Yvette and Mike who have their own timetable they have to meet.

Mike heads back to the States after tomorrow and Yvette is doing her best to get to Santiago by 21 July which means sticking to the plan. Tomorrow in the book is nearly 30km but there is the beautiful village of Viana at 18km and a newly restored historic hotel so Fiona and I plan to stay there hoping to ease Fiona off the drugs over the next three days by travelling shorter distances.

Our walk today was through vineyards and wheat fields stopping at just two villages for a cuppa. Father Brad and I split from the team to take a more alpine route which met up with the other path 10km further on. Great views today which with all the helpful advice provided by you should be able to be displayed when I "stream" them into the iPad later tonight.

Met a French lady today - Beatrice, 63 - who started in Lyon France. She is walking to Santiago with the intention of coming back next year to leave Santiago on her birthday to walk home. Apparently it is seen as good karma to leave from your home to join the Camino and to return on your birthday. Already getting excited about returning to walk the Camino through France where she assures us the views are better and the food is fantastic.

Today we walked past Monasterio Irache where some of the best wine from Spain is made by monks. Outside the monastery there is a tap where pilgrims can fill their bottles with red wine to help them along the Camino - no policing of how much you take. Unfortunately we arrived too early to partake although it was clear that some who followed us later had!

We finished off the day with a great meal out at a local Spanish restaurant. Most offer the pilgrims menu and today they also had a paella selection which tasted just great. Everyone spoke about what the Camino has meant to them and we all promised to send each other the photos we had taken. A last photo of the 5 of us was taken at the restaurant.

So tomorrow it is Fiona myself and Father Ken. Time to meet new companions.

Advertisement



25th June 2013

How come I wasn't invited.!!! Colin sent me your blurb. Have fun but don't forget where home is. Bring me a doggie bag of Paella. Love from someone who is huddled over the woodburner. Shirley xxx
25th June 2013

Because you would have been too quick for us!! Food is amazing and so cheap. We are having a wonderful time, if only Fiona was not in so much pain it would be even better

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb