Canary island cruise - Last Port of Call


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Ferrol
February 1st 2024
Published: February 1st 2024
Edit Blog Post

1st February



Originally Ferrol was a fishing port, but its development was due to Philip V recognizing the strategic value of its estuary and building the A Graña arsenal and shipyards. Ferrol came to control Spain's maritime interests in the North Atlantic, threatened by England.



In 1800, the British fleet landed on Doniños beach, in what is known as the Battle of Brión. The objective was to take Ferrol and destroy the shipyards, but the local forces responded quickly, causing the English to withdraw.



Currently, Ferrol continues to suffer the effects of the economic depression of the 80s, as a consequence of the naval crisis and a reduced military presence, plus the effects of the recent real estate crisis, this was obvious as I walked around.



I took the shuttle bus from the ship, the bus stopped by a tree lined avenue walk with a lovely fountain and some beautiful balcony buildings.



I set off with the map that we were given but couldn’t get my bearings so when in doubt ask a policeman! I was looking for Plaza Amboaxe. It seems I was only 20
mtrs away where I thought I might grab a coffee but the cafes weren’t open yet at 11.00! With a cruise ship in port a missed opportunity I thought, but the Camelia in the foreground of the church was worth a visit.



Narrow streets with some interesting balconies and doors but a lot of shops closed down, giving a bit of a run down feel, now acclimatised to the map I found my way to the market & fish market, very few stalls open so I’m guessing like in a lot of these European markets they open very early.



The town hall building was quite impressive. This monumental building presides over Plaza de Armas since 1953 one of the main squares.

Its architectural style is “imperialist”, in accordance with the artistic canons established in Spain at that time.



Maybe it was a bit early in the season for this town to come alive as there were few people about except for the intrepid Saga passengers.



Back on board in time for a light lunch and lovely view from the top deck of the marina below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement






Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb