Madrid - the Palacio Real


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
April 25th 2005
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we visit Madrid’s Palacio Real (the Royal Palace), built in the 18th century, which is conveniently only a couple blocks away from our hotel.

For me the exterior of the palace, its architecture and decor and its viewpoint of Madrid, was the most interesting thing. We of course wandered through the interior rooms that were open to the public, but while nothing like here at home in the States, once you’ve seen one palace you’ve seen them all?....

We see the several rooms with overwhelmingly gaudy décor, including the state rooms as well as the private rooms, and the music room with it’s collection of rare Stradivarius instruments (that was cool, I’ve never seen one before), and the royal pharmacia. It just mostly makes us happy that we never had to live in these quarters, which seem dark, cold, and dreary. Of course we realize the rooms purposefully have dim lighting to preserve the works of art inside.

Next we stop in at Peggy's hotel and then visit to Frommer's recommended pottery store, Antigua Casa Talavera (which all though we find the long way turns out to be right behind Peggy's hotel), and what a find it
The Palacio RealThe Palacio RealThe Palacio Real

Interior courtyard view
is! There was beautiful pottery from all over the various regions in Spain. I found a plate in the enameled style that I just loved, but wish I hadn't found it at the beginning of our trip, knowing I'll have to lug a breakable piece throughout the rest of our travels. Oh well. Peggy purchased a sangria set and a tile artwork piece, and later that day a spare bag to haul it around in. Angie wisely chose to avoid a major purchase here.

Afterwards the girls go out for dinner, while I again need to rest at our hotel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Antigua Casa TalaveraAntigua Casa Talavera
Antigua Casa Talavera

Pottery store in Madrid


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb