Made it to Madrid!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
April 4th 2005
Published: April 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello all, it´s 4 days into my trip and I´m now in Madrid after catching a sleeper train last night. Diana and I zoomed around Paris before this. A reminder for those of you who are planning on traveling with others. If you take the window seat so you can sleep during the flight to wherever you are going, then don´t complain if your buddy in the aisle seat is tired the next day! The first day in Paris was definitely exhausting, what with the lugging the back pack around, finding a place to stay (or not finding it, which happened several times), and then running off to see Notre Dame, the Pantheon, Pont Neuf, some archeological crypt, and getting food. All of this on foot, of course. Considering my fair travel buddy was still alive when I left, I think I did good with having had only 5 minutes of sleep in 24 hours.
Day 2 was much better, energy-wise. We went to the Louvre, saw the really important things (i.e. the Mona Lisa), and took off once we´d had enough of the EgyptianGreek pottery. In the afternoon, we went to the Eiffel tower and saw the sunny and also smoggy view.
Day 3, we were off to Versailles, once we figured out how to ditch our baggage after checking out. Diana wanted crepes, so we searched around the town for a bit but couldn´t find any that were decently priced, so we went into the chateau. Toured around that for a bit, saw the humongous marble and gold decorations, saw the hall of mirrors, which was under restoration, and then headed out to the garden. It was a nice sunny day, we saw the fountains turned on, and actually found some crepes at one of the kiosks there. Later that night we parted ways, and Diana left for Frankfurt and I left for Madrid.
So far its been cool here and rainy off and on. I´m kinda not in the mood to do too much this afternoon, hence the internet cafe and just some walking around. Madrid, at least the section i´m staying in, doesn´t seem to have as much for markets or places where you can buy food, so I´m sure i´ll have fun checking that stuff out. Tomorrow the plan is to take an actual shower (yay), and head to the Palacio Real and Campo del Moro. The palacio is apparently very over-the-top for decoration. Don´t worry, you´ll see all the pictures. Anyways, i´m here until Wednesday the 6th in the evening, when i´m catching another sleeper train to Lisbon. Drop me a line, TTYL.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb