ahora


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
July 6th 2005
Published: April 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

the whole shebangthe whole shebangthe whole shebang

yikes! here we all are at el palacio real.
espana has been treating me well.
apart from intense heat and euros that just seem to disappear into thin air, i am having a great time. apparently, i speak spanish well enough to not be laughed at.

so there are about 50 of us in the program here in madrid, and about 80% of us ventured out on a group trip the other day to the palacio real in the city. needless to say, i remembered why i like traveling alone or in smaller groups. so yesterday about 5 of us took off downtown again, walked along the labyrinthial metro system, explored el plaza de espana, ate a fantastic meal, and so on and so forth.

so down in the plaza there was a statue i guess saluting the glory and power of spain, and at the top of this stone pillar were figures of conquistadors sitting next to dirty savage natives, presumably teaching them how to read. um, it was kind of the BEST monument to imperialism i've ever seen.

in related news, i found, purchased, and ate a delightful confection called "FILIPINOS" which are these chocolate covered cookie biscuits. they´re kind of delicious.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

the seat of the spanish crownthe seat of the spanish crown
the seat of the spanish crown

from which 300 years of colonialism in the philippines was conceived. here i've come, to the roots of my ancestry! (sort of.)
el plaza mayorel plaza mayor
el plaza mayor

way too expensive to do anything than just look.
the first of many...the first of many...
the first of many...

a night out in madrid, enjoying it's bountiful nightlife
plaza de espanaplaza de espana
plaza de espana

conquistadors in all their glory.
at the feet of don quixoteat the feet of don quixote
at the feet of don quixote

you couldn't escape him here in madrid
i wish i remembered the name of this restauranti wish i remembered the name of this restaurant
i wish i remembered the name of this restaurant

because it was amazing! it's right off gran via by a couple side streets and it was reccommended by lonely planet. we also got some free drinks, courtesy of our friendly waiter :)
flamencoflamenco
flamenco

the place we saw the show at was called 'ole con ole'!
spanish sunrisespanish sunrise
spanish sunrise

the view from my room. how very hemingway.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb