The long way home to Dublin


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
September 10th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Alan and Aoife's weddingAlan and Aoife's weddingAlan and Aoife's wedding

Dancing a jig in the traditional Irish wedding fashion.
On a fusty Monday morning we were driven to Dublin airport by Aoife's dad, who kindly got out of bed extra early and braved the busy traffic. The night before had been a beautiful goodbye party with the family and it was great to see all the relatives before heading off (thanks Aoife's mum for a lovely shindig and to Benny and Mum for the speeches!).

At Dublin airport, Alan's parents dropped by to wave us off, and with that, after months and years of talking, planning and daydreaming our days in work away, we were finally off.

Our ambition is to see as much of the world as possible from overland, while keeping within our budget, so in order to make the most of roundworld airplane ticketing our first stop was London, and then onto Madrid, where we are writing this from.

One minor excitement occurred in Heathrow, where queues for international departures were long and hassled. Aoife put Alan's wedding ring in her bag going through security only to discover it had disappeared from the bag on the other side. As the big day was less than a week ago, both of us felt horrible. However, with the kind help of some security staff the ring was found on the rollers at the other side of the x-ray machine. Much relief all round!

Madrid was exactly as we remember it from last year - warm, friendly, easy to navigate, clean and full of life. Unfortunately as we are to put it in Dublin terms 'knackered' we fell straight asleep on arrival and are only now (10.20pm) waking up. Thank goodness we're in Madrid, where things only get going after midnight!

Grá mór,

Alan and Aoife xx

Advertisement



13th September 2007

Hey I found you!!
I found you!!! Oops about Als wedding ring, thanks goodness it was found!!! Looking forward to many more entries! XXX

Tot: 0.373s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 107; dbt: 0.3265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb