A Week in Madrid part 3


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
March 17th 2002
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SegoviaSegoviaSegovia

Looking across the old town towards the mountains from the Alcazar
DAY SEVEN
It was just one of those days. There was no power in the hostel when we got up so we had to do everything by torchlight. Then we got all messed up by a strike on the trains. We bought our tickets and were told platform and time, but no train came. Everyone we asked - security guards, information desk, ticket office - all told us different things, until we finally found out about the strike! Not that anyone though to put up signs or make an announcement! Finally we got a train to Segovia at 10am. Given that its a two hour ride, and the return trains are at 2.55pm or 8.55pm, we didn't have long once we did make it to Segovia.

The ride out was ok, busy and noisy with a school group, but the scenery was neat as we got higher into the hills. Segovia is over 100m above sea level. We took a bus from the station to the edge of the walled old town, getting off by a Roman Aqueduct. Impressive at 800m long and 30m high at its highest point, with no mortar or cement used to hold it together.
Roman Aquaduct, SegoviaRoman Aquaduct, SegoviaRoman Aquaduct, Segovia

800m long, 30m high, no mortar or cement, and its still standing. Much better than anything built now!
Much better than anything built now!

We walked from one end of the old town to the other to see the Alcazar, a bit Disney like on the outside, but much better in the inside. There were excellent views over the city and out towards the mountains. We had a quick look round the cathedral then wandered the narrow streets on the way back to get a bus to the station. It was disappointing to have come so far and not have enough time to really see Segovia, but never mind. We sat upstairs on the double decker train back to Madrid, and had a great view of the insides of the clouds that were rapidly descending.

After a great dinner, we went to our local bar and tried a couple of national drinks, AnĂ­s, a bit like Ouzo but smoother, and a local cognac.

DAY EIGHT
Saturday again, and the museums are free in the afternoon. So while waiting for lunch to come and go, we wandered around looking at some more azulejos, some nice ones on an old pharmacy depicting various cures, shame about the graffiti though. We also tried to find an apparently
The Alcazar, SegoviaThe Alcazar, SegoviaThe Alcazar, Segovia

Slightly Disney-like dont you think?! Although this alcazar came before Disney.
haunted house with seven chimneys. We think we found it, but we couldn't see all the chimneys.

After lunch we went to the Reina Sofia art museum, which contains mainly newer art, stuff from the last 100-150 years. Some of it was a load of rubbish!! but that's just our tastes. We saw heaps of Picasso and Dali, all neat of course, although some was very weird! That easily took all afternoon, and could have taken longer if we had time.

DAY NINE
Back to the UK again, ready for work tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tiled pharmacy, MadridTiled pharmacy, Madrid
Tiled pharmacy, Madrid

Some more azulejos, this time depicting various cures that were available at the time.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb