Bienvenidos a Madrid!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
June 18th 2019
Published: June 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Away we go!Away we go!Away we go!

Group photo in Boise
We have arrived safely in Spain! As anyone who has traveled to Europe knows, the first day overcoming jetlag is always the hardest, so by dinnertime, we were trying not to fall asleep in our noodles. But what a great first day! We met our tour director Joe who guided us through the streets under the warm Spanish sun for an orientation to Madrid. We enjoyed gelato in Plaza Mayor, photographed the famous bear with the strawberry tree (in nickname only, as the fruits that bears fed on in the hills merely resembled strawberries...), and visited the Museo del Prado. I couldn't believe the detailed symbolism in Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights," and Goya's striking (sometimes morbid) use of light and shadow. Tomorrow we will learn more about El Greco when we visit Toledo. Off to sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Meet JoeMeet Joe
Meet Joe

He teaches us about the fruit in the hills the bears used to eat that resembled strawberries.
Museo de PradoMuseo de Prado
Museo de Prado

(no photos inside) We saw Goya, Rafael, El Greco, and Bosch.
Literary districtLiterary district
Literary district

This area is full of bookstores, literary quotes on sidewalks and building facades, and even bars decorated with books.


18th June 2019

Woo hoo! You made it!
So happy to hear your report and see the pics! I look forward to hearing/seeing more....have a wonderful time!
21st June 2019

Can't wait to share stories! Wish you were here!
21st June 2019

Can't wait to share stories! Wish you were here!

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb