On Top of the World


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia
May 29th 2019
Published: May 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Cross on MontserratCross on MontserratCross on Montserrat

After hiking to the top of a mountain near Montserrat, my group and I were able to stand to appreciate God's creation and the beauty around us.
On the mountain

My group and I were able to hike to the top of a mountain at Montserrat and stand by a cross to appreciate the scenery. It was amazing to see that my God created everything I could see. One thing I have been focusing on in life is to see God in the little things, and Montserrat was no exception. My experience probably matches many others. According to "Insights Spain," Montserrat is known as the "spiritual center of Catalonia" (p. 280). It is also known as "A Catalan religious shrine of great power and mystery" (p. 280). I felt that the spiritual power of God while on the mountain. I was able to recognize my insignificance and His powerfulness.

Greetings!

While at lunch with our group, I experienced a situation that was different from what would occur in the US. One of the waitresses came over to our table to give us our first course. She was polite, but only simple hellos were exchanged, which is to be expected. I did not except, however, was for her to react to another customer the way that she did. They entered, and she quickly walked to them
Around MonserratAround MonserratAround Monserrat

This is from Montserrat. Just a glimpse of the beauty of the area in Spain.
and gave them a kiss on both cheeks. Even with our very best friends, Americans would never do that.

Slower Pace

Our group had lunch at an authentic restaurant today. We stayed longer than a normal American meal would take, and many tables seemed to be taking much longer to finish. It was interesting to see the Spanish perspective on time, relationships, and work through this experience. They do not experience the same industrial/economic drive that most Americans feel. Spaniards see the importance of relationships. A two-hour meal is not uncommon here, while a common thing at home is to eat on the go to the next meeting. "Culture Smart" confirms this observation, saying that "The Spanish...take their time over meals" (101). This slower, less aggressive approach to the industry can lead to a lower economic gain for the day, but it adds to relationships and bonds that are more important than money.

Words - 349


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

LunchLunch
Lunch

Our first course at lunch, a salad topped with fresh fruit and goat cheese!
LunchLunch
Lunch

The main course for lunch. A type of meat. It tasted like a roast. Whatever it was, it was delicious.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb