more from spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Monistrol de Montserrat
September 7th 2006
Published: September 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Back again!

Back on the free internet, and there is no queue this time.

So I only got up to just before the plane. We went to Portabello Road, then back to Alexs to pick up our stuff, then off to the airport via the Stanstead Express (to the Stanstead Airport). Arrived to a crazy airport, checked in with EasyJet (they had the cheapest flights), and they have this stupid new rule that you can only have a certain size hand luggage bag, and it literally has to fit into the lap top size size guide, or you have to check it. The lady told us all of ours were fine, but once we reached security, Chez had to turn around and check her backpack. Very annoying. Security was crazy. The line was a mile long, and we had to take off our shoes, and I got searched (I think it was either my money belt or I just happened to be the every second person check thingy).

All fine through security, no dramas there. Wandered around the over the top expensive stores of duty free stuff. Now, this airport caters to EasyJet and RyanAir, which are the two cheap airlines for Britain. And then, in the airport, they have chanel, French Connection, Hamleys toy store etc. Dont they think they are catering for the wrong market there?

Our plane ended up leaving an hour late, but no big deal. Cos we checked in so early, we got priority boarding, so got the front seats in the plane (you can sit anywhere), which was great, extra leg room, and funny chats with the hostesses. Really quick flight, so dramas. We realised when we arrived that we didnt know how to get to our hostel, so we caught the bus into the city, and caught a taxi to the hostel (thank god we did, its down these back alleys (which are gorgeous) and we would never have found it on our own). Met the other girl in our room Kate, and NZ, 26, she is fantastic, so we tagged along with her to this random tapas place up the road (we are trying to find it again, but I dont like our luck), and ran into another two guys from our hostel, an Aussie and a Greek guy, and they joined. Drank sangria, and ended up having to eat icecream after I nearly passed out from low blood sugar. All in all a really great day!

Slept in the next day (we didnt get back to the room til 2am), and got up, just made it to breakfast, which, by the way, is crap. Two pieces of oversized biscuit bread and two muffins. Anyway, we headed out to the local hop on hop off, and travelled around on that. Got off at the Sagrada Familia, this giant church that is going to take another 80 years to finish (it was started in 1896), and is totally surreal. Was really busy, so we decided to come back the next day. Back on the bus, went further around, and got off at the wharf, had some lunch (paella, really yummy), then walked around to the beach, walked along the beach (lots of guys in speedos, and lots of girls without bikini tops, and LOTS of girls who should not be in bikinis but are). Walked back to the hostel, after getting lost, and jumped on the net (see yesterdays entry), and then crashed on my bed for 2 hours. The heat is really sapping, particularly when you are walking around.

Got up again, went to La Ramblas, walked up and down there, and grabbed some dinner (roasted vegies, again, really good) and got overcharged for water (3.5euros, totally crazy). had some gelati, and headed for bed.

Got up early today and caught the bus to Sagrad Familia again, this time less people, went inside, and its massive, but definitely under construction. I doubt it will be finished before I die. And Im not kidding. Back on the bus (we had a two day pass), up to Parc Guell, Gaudi inspired as well (he has done most of the crazy architecture here in Barcelona), this giant childrens park. Kate, from NZ described it the best- he tried to make a park out of a childrens fairy tale, and he came pretty close! Everyone has to see this to believe it. Back on the palace, where we walked up so many stairs I thought my feet would bleed, but we didnt go in, it wasnt that exciting. Back on the bus again, and around to the cable car up to the castle ruins, but it wasnt working, so back on the bus all the way back to the start (we didnt finish it yesterday). Walked through la Rambla fruit and veg market (going back for supplies tomorrow morning) and then back to the hostel. Booked some accomodation, and now Im writing in here. I think Ill go and have a nap before we go out for dinner. I forgot to wear my pedometer yesterday, but as for today, at 6.30pm, we have done 16403 steps, and counting.

Going tomorrow to the Picasso Museum and to some Animation exhibition for Alex (but dont worry, I am interested), and then to book our train tickets (you cant book them on the net) to madrid. Then possibly to a spanish cooking class (you get to eat it at the end).

Will try to update once in madrid, otherwise this will get boring if I write every day.

Roger out, and ola from Barcelona.

Advertisement



8th September 2006

Maos
You HAVE to go to Maos/Maoz?? It is near the Champion supermarket on la ramblas. SO good! get the chips with garlic mayo and both the salad box and pita wrap are awesome! Also, alcohol is very cheap at Champion!
9th September 2006

ole
sounds great beks, very jealous! I am sitting inside in mum's place at canby - have been at parliament house last 3 days for workshops on leadership/lobbying etc - good fun, but means that I have to catch up on thesis this weekend.... so enjoying mum's good heating and music and downing endless cups of tea...!!! neways, back to melb tomorrow nite, but nice to have a temporary change of scenary while writing! keep up all those steps - such a great idea to wear a pedometer! lotsa luv sal xoxoxo

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb