Don't miss Montserrat


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Monistrol de Montserrat
July 13th 2014
Published: August 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Village of Montserrat and MonasteryVillage of Montserrat and MonasteryVillage of Montserrat and Monastery

Built from local stone in the middle of nowhere.
On the last day I took the ship’s transfer to the airport that included a tour to Montserrat. We left very early, and cleared customs, loaded our luggage on the bus. The trip up to the mountain was lovely, taking about an hour. The village and monastery is very remote. Since it was Sunday, we had to get in and out of the Cathedral before Mass began. There was about an hour to wander freely, have a coffee, take the funicular, but I opted against that after taking a look at it. I’m glad we left early, because when we got back to the bus parking lot it was jam packed with busses, and there were thousands of people parked all along the roadway. You could opt to be dropped back in town at Plaza Catalunya if you were staying in the city, or at the airport, where I would suggest Terminal 1 if you’re not flying out immediately, and you are catching a shuttle to an airport hotel. I was staying at the Barcelona Airport Hotel, who came to pick me up for my overnight stay. This hotel is in an industrial park, seems more business oriented, but has a swimming pool, tapas bar, restaurant and shuttle service to & from the city, and (for a fee with advance notice) to and from ship piers. My 4:00am shuttle to the airport had to be reserved in advance, but was complimentary.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb