Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » La Rambla
October 27th 2011
Published: November 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Barcelona’s like the Los Angeles of Spain. It’s sunny the vast majority of the year. Somehow we managed to arrive and leave in a downpour. Still we were lucky to have mostly clear skies the rest of the time despite the weather forecast. Our hotel Nouvel is warm, cozy and centrally located just off the Ramblas.

Robyn loves Spain for their unpretentious meals of tapas. You can get small plates and split things and they don’t give you a funny look here or some of that “French lip”. I love France but Spain is refreshing.

Our favorite place for montaditos was just north of the Ramblas called La Tramoia. The best is the squid with potatos (Pulpo a Feira). Ciudad Condal was a favorite too, but best to go at an off-hour, as it gets insanely crowded.

We enjoyed strolling the Ramblas, getting ice cream and touring the bustling market Boqueria. Of course we enjoyed all of the requisite Gaudi sights, Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Mila.

The Picasso Museum (which features his young bourgeoning more life-like career) gave us new insight into the artist.

One night we got Paella to go and enjoyed it by candlelight with a Ribera del Duero on our veranda.

For a final highlight, our last day here featured massages at the Yves Rocher salon and an amazing dinner and wine paring at the Michelin starred Restaurant Moo in the Hotel Omm. The wine pairings were reasonable and impeccable.

Les Calcinieres’10. Domaine Gauby. Rosellón. Macabeo, Muscat and Chardonnay for my Parmesan cheese “coca” with spring vegetables.

Piélago’08. Jimenez Landi. Méntrida. Garnatxa and Syrah for my Lamb shoulder with garlic purée and Manchego cheese.

The real winner of the night was the creative "Trip To Havana" desert. The most inventive and satisfying desert I’ve ever had. This dish would give Wylie at WD-50 a run for his money. It was comprised of a tobacco flavored ice cream bar in the shape of a cigar. You dip this bar in a sugar flavored “ash”. After a bite of that you take a bite of the sweet refreshing mojito flavored snow-cone-esque granita; Then a sip of rum and back to your cigar. It was a magical and romantic final night in Europe.

Champagne for this location was Alfred Gratien.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb