All Over Barcelona - Day 2


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
May 17th 2017
Published: May 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Parc Tibidabo Funicular StationParc Tibidabo Funicular StationParc Tibidabo Funicular Station

Funicular takes us up the steep climb to the Attractions Park.
The main places for visiting today required advanced ticket purchase with nominated admission times due to the numbers of visitors each site attracts. So first bus to Parc Tibidabo to catch the funicular to the top of the mountain with views across all of Barcelona region. There's an amusement park with carnival type rides for those interested and the obligatory basilica for this city of churches.

We then joined the throng becoming engrossed by the spectacle that is the Sagrada Familia with it's towering steeples, ornate decoration and just the amazing amount of detail that has gone into the design and construction of this massive project. We last saw this in 1983 so 34 years of construction has pushed it along significantly with completion now scheduled for 2026. One wonders where all of the stonemasons will go after this.

Parc Guell is another of Gaudi's creations in a park setting covering a significant area with highly imaginative stone pillars and creations. A couple of fairy tale houses added to the Curiosity of the park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

All Aboard the Funicular TrainAll Aboard the Funicular Train
All Aboard the Funicular Train

A bit of an out-dated piece of kit here. Needs some TLC.
Basilica and Attractions Park on TibidaboBasilica and Attractions Park on Tibidabo
Basilica and Attractions Park on Tibidabo

Basilica Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor is perched right on the peak giving excellent views (on a clear day) over the city in all directions. An attractions park with carnival type rides adds to the appeal for a visit.
Sagrada FamiliaSagrada Familia
Sagrada Familia

Gaudi's most famous creation has been under construction since 1882. In the past 34 years since we first visited it has progressed markedly and i now expected to be complete in 2026. Totally enthralling building to visit with amazing levels of detail at every turn of the head.
Internals of Sagrada FamiliaInternals of Sagrada Familia
Internals of Sagrada Familia

Shows some of the colours of material selected carefully for each section with particular intent of the designer.
Natural LightNatural Light
Natural Light

Light plays a major role in the design by capturing the sun's angles and bringing highlights to particular features.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb