Europe Round 2!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
August 9th 2014
Published: August 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Europe...again!

After some very spontaneous planning, spending, and risk taking, I have returned to the continent I have fallen in love with.

I lasted an entire 68 days gone from it, but who's counting?

This time, I'm going on an adventure with my friend, Devon. We both love traveling, and Europe, and we both think we are princesses, so needless to say...

It's going to be awesome.

Our traveling started Thursday in the states, with an overnight flight to Barcelona. We got the entire row of seats to ourselves, so I (kinda) got some shut eye.

We arrived early morning yesterday and took the airport transfer bus into the area we are staying, called Plaça Catalunya. On the bus ride, our jet lagged conversation went a little like this...

Me: "Ya know, it's not even weirding me out this time that Europeans drive on the other side of the road. I barely even notice it."
Dev: "That's because they don't. That's only in the UK."

After soaking up some Starbucks Wi-fi, and hauling our luggage for what seemed like 50 blocks, we made it to our bed and breakfast!

It's
The beautiful Magic Fountain of MontjuïcThe beautiful Magic Fountain of MontjuïcThe beautiful Magic Fountain of Montjuïc

When the Olympics come to town, they build castles with magic fountains. So when will the Olympics be coming to Jax?
the sweetest flat overlooking Gran Via, the main road. We have a few young French girls as flat mates, and a lovely kitchen and bathroom at our disposal.

In Barcelona, everyone sleeps in, arrives late, and there is no "after 5" rule. Basically, I belong here.

Yesterday we wandered around, exploring the many avenues of shops, restaurants, and cafés the city center has to offer.

A popular thing here is street side cafés, which have all been very good so far. We order tapas, which are small, varying plates for sharing that are easy on the wallet.

Some sightseeing included the beautiful Magic Fountain of Montjuïc, walking the busy streets of Las Ramblas and Placa de España, and seeing a shopping mall that was once a bullfighting arena. We also saw one of the many street food markets, where most folks get their groceries (and sugary and awesome fruit smoothies).

The busy day ended with a visit to El Gato Negro, a shot and tapas place that was one of Devon's favorite places last time she was here. With good reason!

Today began with a cup of tea in my favorite room of the apartment (see photo) listening to the bustling city wake up below me.

More on today's adventures later. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

LeftiesLefties
Lefties

A store just for me.
The outdoor marketThe outdoor market
The outdoor market

Offering so many fresh fruits and vegetables. Where most people go to grocery shop!
Beautiful ArchitectureBeautiful Architecture
Beautiful Architecture

Typical Barcelona building. Don't you wish our downtown looked like this?
SeafoodSeafood
Seafood

We ordered traditional seafood paella. It was delicious, but I couldn't quite figure out how to go about eating this guy.
Our ViewOur View
Our View

The view from our terrace, and my new favorite tea drinking spot.


9th August 2014

I recognize everything in the photos...so cool. Have so much fun!
9th August 2014

Spain - a beautiful place!
Makes me want to be there, and you are an awesome travel purveyor of information about this pretty place. Mom!

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb