Amposta - a walk along the River Ebro


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Amposta
March 11th 2014
Published: March 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As we drove back up past the Ebro Delta, our intention had been to stop in the town of Sant Carles de la Rapita. The problem was that when we got there we just didn't like it. After driving round the centre a couple of times we decided to head on and found ourselves in Amposta where we checked into the Montsia Hotel which proved to be reasonably priced and very comfortable.

Truth be told, there's not a lot in Amposta but it had a nice feel to it. The old bridge which spans the Ebro shines majestically at night but we struggled to find much in the way of nightlife. Every bar was empty until we came across one tucked away down a side street which was where everyone seemed to be. A cheap beer with free tapas was just what the doctor ordered! It's a shame we never managed to find out what it was called!! We found more company and excellent food in the Vintastik restaurant.

Enough of food and drink though, we were here for the countryside and the animals. Well rested after a good night's sleep we set out along the footpath which runs the whole length of the Ebro from Amposta to the delta. It was easy to follow and, once out of town, the birds were out in their numbers and the views were wonderful. We walked for about 3km downstream to the remains of an old waterwheel (you need a LOT of imagination!) before heading back. With a couple of hours on the road still ahead of us we didn't want to be too late. A word of warning though, at one stage you go past the waterworks and the smell was quite disgusting!!

So it wasn't an exciting stopover but it was pleasant enough. We liked it and would recommend it if you need to break your journey somewhere in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



21st July 2014

Amposta A Bit More Information
I know this won't be a link, which is fine ...:) but as you definitely captured the initial feel one gets of Amposta, I thought you may like to check this out http://www.catalonia-valencia.com/amposta-travel-guide.html

Tot: 0.482s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 38; qc: 166; dbt: 0.2609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.5mb