Camino ups and downs.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León
September 30th 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

grapesgrapesgrapes

Everyone was doing it!
My apologies for the long delay in updating! It is now Sept. 30th and we´ve walked for 17 days- 355 km.
Internet is not always available and even in Burgos we could not find one.
Most things shut down from 2 -5pm every afternoon, which is usually when pilgrims arrive!

News: Bed bugs hit us again (or more specifically the French blooded one) on day 12, but I saw them and we killed at least 20 in the middle of the night so.... we have upgraded our accommodation substantially and pay with a credit card because its too much of a pain to deal with, even if not allegeric to the bites.
What we did the next morning was find an open laundry mat and did almost all our clothes except the minimum to wear. We bought insect killer and sprayed our bags, shoes etc. It was a cold wet day and by the time we were done it was already mid day. There was a bus....! We stayed in a really nice hotel that night and that was our day of rest.
Most people don´t know they have bed bugs so they carry them in their stuff to the next place which is how they spread.
We have since retreated (sprayed our bags and other non washable stuff) just to be sure.


We have left the vineyards behind. They were great to walk through and "test" the various grapes.
Mornings are cool but it warms up in the aft. One morning was barely above freezing!

The peace and quiet of the country side continue to be the hi-light. The scenery is varied but now it is mainly fields of cut wheat etc.

Most dinners are spent with other pilgrims. Sometimes if we haven´t seen someone for a few days the reunion is like seeing long lost freinds!

We may (possibly) have lost some of the weight we gained in Greece but if people saw what we ate (and drink) they would understand why we haven't.

As far as aches and pains are concerned, we both have sore feet (quite common), I have a swollen and tender achilles tendon, no blisters (my thumb has healed but I appreciate the concerns), knees are often sore as well as lower backs ....... but what does one expect?
How much water we carry is an issue but
lunch audiencelunch audiencelunch audience

We were being watched as we ate lunch bye the side of the road.
we often need to carry for the whole day. Sometimes we carry too much fruit (but that's because someone is a little paranoid about food)!

That's it for now. Sorry its so long. I will try and add pics.
Thanks to those of you who have responded. We like getting news.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

typical churchtypical church
typical church

Actually its a bit small for a lot of the churches. 500 yrs old is typical.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb