Segovia


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Segovia
July 28th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

aquaductaquaductaquaduct

Aquaduct seen from the town square
Went to Segovia on Friday, I´ve been here several times and have always enjoyed it. Segovia´s history starts with the romans conquering the land in the first century and building a military out post here. After the fall of the Roman empire people from northern Europe settled in Segovia until they were conquered by the Arabs sometime in the 7th of 8th century. Segovia then became the capital of Moorish Kingdoms until 1088 when it was conquered by Alfonso the IV king Castile. Segovia was the was home of the Royal Court and an economic power until the 16th century, then the Royal Court moved to Madrid and Segovia became a secondary city.

Segovia has a long rich history like most of Europe and its easy to walk around the old town seeing all the great architecture. You can climb the towers of Alcazar for great view all around, I did this in 2001 when I toured around Spain with Phillip Klindt and his troup.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

CastleCastle
Castle

Entrance to the Castle Alcazar in Segovia. The tower stands 260 feet high and has 12 turrets on it. The moat in front of the wall can´t be seen.
CastleCastle
Castle

View of the back of the castle
CastleCastle
Castle

Alcazar was built strategically where the Eresma and Clamores rivers met on a rocky point.
towertower
tower

These towers were built with in eye sight of one another and created the warning system incase of invading armies.
aquaductaquaduct
aquaduct

Aquaduct built by the Romans in the first century, stands 95ft tall and the stones are held together by opposition of force no mortar used in the construction.
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Cathedral in Segovia built in the 16th century in Gothic style
CastleCastle
Castle

View of Alcazar from the hill side
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

View of the Cathedral from a distance
MemorialMemorial
Memorial

Memorial to the fallen in the was of 1809 with France


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb