Lunes de Aguas: The Whores Are Back! Let's RAGE!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Salamanca
May 2nd 2011
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

"The Whores Are Back! Let's RAGE!"



Lunes de Aguas



This past Monday was a holiday in Salamanca, meaning classes were cancelled and stores were closed! There was not a sole to be found in the city, because everyone was heading down to the river to celebrate Lunes de Aguas!

This is a curious holiday completely unique to Salamanca. It started back in medieval times when prostitutes were banished from the city during Lent. A week after Easter, students and townsfolk would gather on the banks of the river to welcome the girls back into the city. The rest of the day would be spent eating, drinking, and celebrating by the river. (Hence the name, which literally means “Water Monday”).

Alas, only the last part of the celebration continues today. It has essentially become a day dedicated to enjoying the outdoors and having huge picnics. It is also a time to try hornazo - a meat filled pastry made up of bacon, chorizo, and chicken - that is cooked especially for the holiday. Mmmm!

Although I don’t condone prostitution, I thank them for giving us this great fiesta. Not only did I get out class for the afternoon, but I got to spend the whole day soaking up the sun by the water. If you’ve ever been to an outdoor concert or a state fair, you’d be familiar with the chill vibes that permeate such events. Tons of young people congregating on blankets and towels, cracking open beer cans and wine bottles, talking, laughing, playing guitars, juggling, and just enjoying life!

I even got to join a group of Spaniards slacklining! I asked one of the dreadlocked dudes what they called slacklining here (cuerda floja) and then he was nice enough to offer me a turn on the rope. I hadn’t done it in forever and was really unsteady, but it made my day!

Overall, it was a great holiday! Who knew such a thing even existed? Only in Salamanca, Spain I tell you!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb