Bravo Toros!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Salamanca
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Warming up the Bull 35 secs
2: Watch this guy run 28 secs
3: He makes this look easy 81 secs
Entry ProcessionEntry ProcessionEntry Procession

Everyone involved in the bull fight processes out while the band plays and the crowd cheers. Everyone wears brightly colored suits called "trajes de luces" or suits of light.
The last day of the Ferias of Salamanca was Monday and it certaintly ended well.
I went to my first "Corrida de Toros" (bull fight) and I didn't leave early or close my eyes, as my host family predicted I would.
I met two friends from class at the Plaza de Toros where we handed over our tickets to the men in red berets who led us directly to our seats. The seat that I paid 34 euro for was in the sunny side of the plaza (the cheap seats, though I didn't think it was so cheap). It also happened to be one of the hottest days we've had so far in Salamanca, in the 80s (F), I think. The good thing about our seats was that it was located right next to the entrance way for the toreros (bull fighters) and bulls.
The fight started at 6pm with a big procession around the ring - everyone involved walked around the arena once while a brass band played and people cheered. After everyone leaves the pit, about 6-7 men in brightly colored suits come out with pink capes, then the bull is released. The men taunt the bull with the
PicadoresPicadoresPicadores

These are the guys that give a little pinch to the bull to make him mad and ready for a fight. The horses are blindfolded and wear armor, as do the men. Its just like A Knights Tale!
capes and when the bull gets close they run away and jump over the wall! Only the torero actually stays in the arena the whole time, he uses the pink cape to observe how well the bull sees, how he moves, if he's really brave or more defensive. Once he's seen enough, the two picadores come out on horses and give the bull a "pinch" in the back to make him mad and weaken him a little bit. The funny thing is that the horses that they ride have to be blindfolded and wear body armor - I guess they'd run away if they saw a 550lb. bull running toward them. Now the "bull fight" actually begins - the torero gets his red cape and begins to "dance" with the bull. How good he is depends on how close he is to the bull and the type of movements he makes.
In a "Corrida de Toros" there are 3 toreros and 6 bulls (2 for each torero).
The first torero that I saw was a little boring, so was the second. The third torero, Miguel Parera, was really good - he was so close to the bull that he could
Cleaning upCleaning upCleaning up

These poor guys had to clean up the horse poop after the procession and rake the sand in between bulls.
hug it as it ran by him! He had his two bulls running in circles around him with his red cape - and the crowd loved it. Everytime the bull ran through the cape, the crowd shouted "Ole." After he had killed his bull (yes, they all died), the people gave him a standing ovation and waved white hankies (I didn't know I was supposed to bring one). That signals that the people felt he was good enough to award him one of the bull's ears. When they continue to wave them, he is awarded another ear, then gets to take a victory lap around the arena.
All in all, it was a fun experience. Certainly not something I'd want to see everyweek (kind of like football), but it wasn't at all gory, and I hardly saw any blood. The worst thing about the bull fight were the chain smokers sitting in front of me.
After the toros, I hit the 'casetas' for tapas and a drink, then went to the fireworks finale by the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Torero and assitants Torero and assitants
Torero and assitants

They're warming up and stretching before the bull is released.
About to startAbout to start
About to start

This guy held the sign that announed the new bull and gave its stats. Some of them weighed over 550kilos.
Here comes the bullHere comes the bull
Here comes the bull

Apparently they are kept in the dark until they arrive at the stadium and are let out for their big fight, so they are pretty startled when they enter the arena.
Full HouseFull House
Full House

Both the upper and lower decks were packed! I was in the lower deck, only about 10 rows from the wall.
Not all bulls are goodNot all bulls are good
Not all bulls are good

This bull wasn't very good. He kept running away and sometimes just stared at the wall - not very brave at all.
Plaza de TorosPlaza de Toros
Plaza de Toros

Actual plaza in background
Third Torero with earsThird Torero with ears
Third Torero with ears

He won 3 ears total that day and got to take a victory lap. Afterwards he threw the ears to a special audience member - thank goodness it wasn't me!
Picador and the bullPicador and the bull
Picador and the bull

The picador is the guy on the horse who gives a "pinch" to the bull before the Torero starts with the red cape
Two AmigasTwo Amigas
Two Amigas

The two others that attended the bullfight with me.
Ole!Ole!
Ole!

The third Torero "toreando" (bull fighting)
The three TorerosThe three Toreros
The three Toreros

picture of the program


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb