Salamanca


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Salamanca » Villamayor
June 10th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Corgo Viaduct BridgeCorgo Viaduct BridgeCorgo Viaduct Bridge

300 metres above Corgo River in Portugal.
Leaving lovely Porto behind we encountered some brilliant scenery heading out of Portugal. We crossed a bridge 353m above the valley floor and also the Marao Tunnel which is 5.6km long on a road that was only extended a year ago. It was later we learned this to be the most dangerous road in Portugal due to some really steep sections that many trucks had incidents on.

Salamanca is a very pretty city. Along the lines of Oxford or Cambridge, it is a University town. Hence the population is fairly young (or are we getting old?).

The buildings and streets are incredibly ornate and grand with the buildings having been constructed using cut stone so a much more recent technique. This gives a very attractive style and appearance that has been kept consistent throughout the city even with very recent additions.

Again we walk the streets and laneways exploring cathedrals, bridges, parks and ruins. Although there are some very grand churches and cathedrals the highlight for us would be the Plaza Major in the centre of the city.

Things were a bit quiet on Sunday afternoon and evening. We are starting to get used to the idea of an afternoon Tapas and not starting an evening meal before 8pm as per the Spanish practice. Hot afternoons have a big influence on this it seems.

It was nice of them to put fireworks on at 11pm on our last night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Roman Bridge SalamancaRoman Bridge Salamanca
Roman Bridge Salamanca

Includes river diversion and water wheel.
Birds in Flight - No shade up there.Birds in Flight - No shade up there.
Birds in Flight - No shade up there.

Need some identification.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb