Lovely Lerma


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Lerma
June 2nd 2013
Published: June 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Driving to Aranda we had spotted a lovely looking town up on a hill by the side of the motorway. With plenty of time to spare we decided to stop off on our way home and have a look. What a good decision that was.

We parked up near the central parador and wandered through the cobbled streets. It's such a shame that parking is allowed on the big central plaza though as it rather spoils the view. Every corner brought spectacular views with stone built houses and churches. The Casa Consistorial was open so we popped our heads in. Another good move as in there we learned that Salta, our home for our final year in Argentina, was founded by the Duke of Lerma. What a small world we live in! There were also a whole host of photographs on display, worthy winners of a recent competition.

With neither plans nor ideas of what to do, we just walked around. The views over the local countryside were breathtaking and we did a small circuit of the old town. If you are passing by, we really recommend you do the same. It was lunchtime so we ordered some calamari, salad and patatas bravas to eat in the square. It was lovely, the food AND the weather. The tranquility was disturbed when some idiot decided she would drive through the square rather than go around it . That meant moving tables and chairs out of the way much to everyone's disgust. The owners of both the affected restaurants came out to have a go at her to no avail! No-one died though and soon the tranquility returned.

Lunch finished, it was time to head home. As soon as we hit the road we could see the clouds building to the north. After 2 days of blue skies it was a bit depressing! When will summer come to Pamplona???!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Photo competition winnerPhoto competition winner
Photo competition winner

I wish I could take a picture like this
Photo competition winnerPhoto competition winner
Photo competition winner

I wish I could take a picture like this
El Duque de LermaEl Duque de Lerma
El Duque de Lerma

Founder of the city of Salta, Argentina


18th June 2013

What a panorama
Sounds like a lovely town.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb