Muted win


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Burgos
June 30th 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Having delightfully avoided hearing or reading any news since we started we were not overly sure about the odds on Spain's fantastic footballing triumph last night. Our money was most definately on a German win but the Spanish nation seemed very confident and their footballers even more so. What was more surprising was the celebrations and post match feel good factor. Both were rather lacking. During the game we out paced the locals with the consumption of our three modest beers. The Spaniards who we watched the game with seemed to lose interest in any alcohol for the duration of the game and the result didn't rejuvenate it. The locals actually looked a little uncertain about what to do by way of celebrations. After some pause it turned into much honking of car horns and driving around with flags. The peak of the party that we could find involved jumping semi-clad into the swimming pool next to our campsite. Granted we were in a pretty remote part of the country but the post win feel good factor was virtually invisible today apart for the Spanish football shirt proudly worn by a statue in the square in which we had our breakfast. It was surprising as if England were ever again to win a major football tournament, unlikely as it currently seems, our little island would quite simply explode.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb