Atale of ancient walled towns, views and a saint's finger


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Ávila
April 13th 2010
Published: June 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Went on an organised tour leavingMadrid at 9.15am in terrible traffic and pouring rain forAvila – really looking forward to visiting the place after teaching about Teresa the mystic from there. We were dropped at the visitors centre at the foot of the walled town and had a guided tour of the Basilica and then through the town to the main square and church and museum dedicated to St Teresa. The most beautiful gilded icons and her room within the museum was a treat to see. However, the greatest and weirdest thrill was seeing her relics… a patch of her dress and a finger! I so wish I could have taken photos to use as a teaching aid. Lovely monument toSt John of the Cross and fabulous views over the valley from the town walls. The rain had now been replaced by glorious sunshine which made everything look so stunning. We then drove to Segovia, a much bigger town. We were dropped at the bottom of the town near the stunning Roman aqueduct. I paired up with an American woman who was also a teacher and we went for lunch before wandering up through the old town to the top of the hill for the cathedral tour. Stunning buildings and the walk from there to the AlcazarPalace was littered with great views over the surrounding hills. A good guided tour of the palace and some absolutely stunning views from there before a 20 minute walk back to the bus and the drive back toMadrid.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb