The contained city.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Ávila
June 19th 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The walled city.The walled city.The walled city.

One on the gates into the old city.
Today we went to Avila. It was a 90 minute trip, hoping to not only see the town and Cathedral, but also to visit the tomb of St Teresa. The fact that it is an UNESCO World Heritage listed site because it has the best preserved city wall also attracted us to the town. We only discovered once we got there that her tomb is in Salamanca. Nevertheless, we still made the most of the medieval city and its attractions. We spent a couple of hours exploring the Cathedral, but we weren’t able to take any pictures or video. One interesting part of the Cathedral was the number of storks nesting on its towers and pinnacles. We were also able to climb up and explore the town’s walls. At this stage, only about half of all the walls are open to the public. The final stop in the city was the convent of St Teresa. This was our last day in Spain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Battlements.Battlements.
Battlements.

More of the walls of the city.
The Cathedral.The Cathedral.
The Cathedral.

The facade as seen from the sqaure.
The Convent of St Teresa.The Convent of St Teresa.
The Convent of St Teresa.

Inside there is a chapel erected on the site where St Teresa was born.


Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb