Hello from Holy Toledo!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
January 26th 2008
Published: January 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Holy city of Toledo!The Holy city of Toledo!The Holy city of Toledo!

We found it! This is our approach from the train station. Remember, we had to walk all the way up there, with our packs!
I tried to write this yesterday, but Houston had a problem, so here we go...
We arrived in Toledo three days ago, and we just got back to Madrid. A quick lunch of fried anchovies and ham on baguette and we´re off to a contemporary art museum. But back to beautiful Toledo...
We arrived around 10 am, and the hillside olive groves were still clinging to the morning fog. Exiting the Moorish inspired train station, we realized we had no idea where we were! So, we did what we always do, and just started walking in what seemed like the right direction (after a cafe con leche of course, the man next to us at the counter was having his midmorning cigarette, beer, and shot of clear liquor!)
We rounded a bend and saw the city come into view. Toledo is more like a fortress of churches that sits atop a small mountain. We snapped a few photos and checked into a delightful hotel, Virgin de la Estrella. We highly recommend it, and the restuarant of the same name. (Our second day for lunch we had Castillan Egg drop soup, stewed vegetables, Bacaloa in Tomato, and Braised Quail and Onions with a compimentary bottle of wine and desserts for about 20 euro!)
Toledo was chilly, beautiful, laid back, and full of Spanish Tourists. We loved it (the old city reminded me of Charleston abit, with pilgrims gawking and locals looking rather bored)
One highlight was the Cathedral of Toledo: big and awe inspiring in the Gothic style. The chorus area was ornately carved in wood and white marble. Above the seated choirs´head (where they would have sat) were Saint carved out of marble (representing heaven?) At their backs were kingly scenes of daily life and on the seat bottom (that hinged down like a movie theater seat) were carved Hellish gargoyles. We realized that when seated, the scenes of Hell faced downward, a constant reminder what would happen to you if you didn´t listen to the Church!!!
We also saw our first Roman ruins: an old stone wall half buried in the park. Jessie wasn´t impressed, but then again, neither must the locals because no one knew what i was talking about! ¿Circo de Romanesco? hahaha
We searched for an old Sinagog for hours, but only managed to make a friend (Omar from Mexico) and step into dog poop (that´s lucky,
The ChoirThe ChoirThe Choir

and the Organ. You can see the Santos
right?).
well, we´ll sign off and try to get some pictures up
ciao!

Advertisement



26th January 2008

Buenas Dias
Hola amigos. ?Como estan? (imagine the first ? upside down, oh and I can't use accents. do either of you speak spanish, or can you get by with english? Your photos are great. I can't wait to see more. Jessie those churros looke delicioso!! And talk about architecture! Stephen says hi.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb