Road Trip to Belmonte and Castillo De Belmonte


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Belmonte
April 4th 2017
Published: April 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hadn't been away for awhile so I decided to have a Secret Escape for my hubby's birthday, we wanted to find some place fun to go here in Spain no too far from home. So within a little less than 4 hours drive I found a beautiful little Spainish village of Belmonte found on the "Quijote's Road" ( Rute del Quijote) also know for it's impressive 15th century Castillo De Belmonte.

Belmonte is surrounded by 15th Century walls with 3 of the orginal access gateways still in amazing condition, and inside the city walls we wondered around and found some beautifully interesting buildings. Sadly some where in bad condition and it is a shame that they have not been given the facelife they deserved, there was however a lovely old Gothic church of San Bartolome.

We stayed in the Palacio del Infante Don Juan Manuel Hotel Spa, that occupies an old palace of the fourteenth century. With views of the Belmonte Castle. It was once a fortress and later converted into a monastery, and now very beautiful hotel with areas still showing some of the orginal palace ruins.

Also included in our room rate was a trip, tour and tasting at a local winery, Mont Reaga. The guild was very patient with us non wine experts and spoke excellent english. www.mont-reaga.com

When we returned to the village,finding a place to eat wasn't easy, the hotel did offer Menu del dia for 40 euro, a little more than what we are used to paying in Mojacar. So a good reason for a walk about the town, most hotels seem to offer only a cafeteria style food. We did finally come across La Cochera just on the other side of the city walls, pub style food but very good and lots of it for a 5 euros.

Next morning up and had a delious breakfast provided by the hotel and off to hike up to the Castle of Belmonte. For 9 euro each entrance fee you get your English audio guild and a self guilded tour so you could take as long as you like. Highly recommend this tour, it is a beautifully maintained proper castle with preserved rooms, including a bathroom, dressing room, bedroom, and great rooms. It is a must see adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb